Weekly Sports Update: April 10-16

The softball team had a successful week, clinching the University Athletic Association series.

Kaitlyn Wang, Managing Editor

Softball (15-11, 4-4 UAA)

The Violets had a successful week, splitting a doubleheader versus Manhattanville College on Tuesday, April 11, sweeping a doubleheader against Brandeis University on Friday, April 14 and splitting another doubleheader against Brandeis on Saturday, April 15. The three wins against Brandeis allowed the team to clinch the University Athletic Association series 9-4.

On April 11, Manhattanville won the first game 7-0, and NYU took the second game 10-9. In the first doubleheader against Brandeis, NYU won 10-2 and 6-3, while in the second doubleheader NYU lost game one 4-5 and won game two 9-4.

The softball team returns to play against Hunter College on Tuesday at Randall’s Island.

Baseball (14-9, 3-5 UAA)

In a weekend UAA series against Brandeis University, the Violets took two games and lost two games.

On Friday, April 14, the team lost 2-4 to the Judges at MCU Park in Brooklyn. After NYU tied the game up in the sixth, Brandeis broke it in the eighth with two runs to the win. In the doubleheader on Saturday, April 15, the Violets swept the Judges 12-2 and 8-1. But the team couldn’t take the series, as they fell to Brandeis on Sunday, April 16, losing 6-12.

The Violets will take on Emory University in Atlanta Friday, April 21, beginning another four-game series.

Tennis (M: 9-2, W: 7-3)

The men’s tennis team hung onto a 5-4 win against Stevens Institute of Technology on Wednesday, April 12 in Brooklyn. The team had a doubles win from senior Matt DeMichiel and freshman Zeb Zheng, and singles wins from seniors DeMichiel and Umberto Setter, sophomore Benedict Teoh and freshman Michael Li.

The women’s team also won 5-4, but against The College of New Jersey on Thursday, April 13. With a doubles win from freshmen Rupa Ganesh and Judy Kam, the Violets were able to win it all with singles wins from sophomores Vanessa Scott and Alice McGinty, senior Laila El Dessouski and Ganesh.

Both teams will compete next at the UAA Championships in Altamonte Springs, Florida — the women compete April 20-22 and the men April 21-23.

Track and Field

Both men and women’s teams competed Saturday, April 15 at the Greyhound Invitational hosted by Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

For the men, senior Budd Brown placed second in the 200m and fifth in the 400m, posting season-best times of 22.06 seconds and 49.66 seconds respectively. Four men placed in the 1,500m — senior Nick Karam placed third, junior Robert DeSisto fifth, Karn Setya seventh and Ben Karam eighth. Senior Curtis Mann placed third in the 800m, and junior Vince Booth took sixth. Finally, the 4×400 relay team of Booth, Brown, Mann and freshman Grayson Hepp took fifth.

The women’s team was also successful. Junior Ireland Gibbons, along with teammates sophomore Mimi Conti, freshman Evelyn Nkanga and sophomore Samantha Scoggins, took third in the 4×400 relay. Senior Simone Cooper took seventh in the triple jump.

Both teams compete at the UAA Outdoor Championships at the University of Chicago April 22-23.

Golf

The golf teams enjoyed success in this past week, with the men finishing fourth at the Fred Kravetz Invitational at the University of Rochester in Rochester, New York and the women winning it all at the Jack Leaman Invitational at Amherst College in South Hadley, Massachusetts.

In Rochester, two Violets made it to the top five leaderboard, with sophomore Luke Oberholtzer in second and freshman Kelly Sun in fourth. Meanwhile, at Amherst, sophomore Jenni Bluetling won the individual title, and junior Alyssa Poentis and sophomore Patty Treevichaphan earned third and fifth, respectively.

The men play next April 29-30 at the Liberty League Championships in Baldwinsville, New York and the women play April 22-23 at the Liberty League Championships in Suffern, New York.

Men’s Volleyball (18-9)

The Violets defeated SUNY New Paltz on Saturday, April 15 in five sets to win the first ever United Volleyball Conference Championship in the program’s history. After defeating Stevens Institute of Technology on Friday, April 14 to advance to the UVC finals, NYU lost two sets and won three to secure the championship.

Freshman Evan Lindley was named the MVP of the tournament, and senior Derrick Chiu and freshman Alex Li were both named to the all-tournament team.

The championship berth automatically qualifies NYU for the NCAA Division III Volleyball Championship.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 17 print edition. Email Kaitlyn Wang at k[email protected].