U.S. should look to Cuban dissidents as sources of change

As Cuba inches closer to reform, the U.S. government should look to dissidents as the potential agents of change in Cuba. In recent years, the Cuban regime has passed a series of economic and immigration policies meant to liberalize the country. Foreign governments and media outlets have looked to these reforms as promising indicators of change. Nevertheless, the economic reforms simply legalize a pre-existing black market. Similarly, immigration reforms have only eliminated one of the many barriers that impede Cubans from traveling outside of the island; this policy does not address the underlying issues of why Cubans feel compelled to leave their country. We must then turn to Cuban dissidents as meaningful agents of political, social, and economic reform. The U.S. government should form closer ties with these advocates of democracy and accept their opinions as a preview of future Cuban politics.

For the past fifty-four years, the Cuban government has proven unwilling and unable to pursue political reforms. We see most political developments occurring in the hands of small groups of citizens, dubbed dissidents by the Cuban government. Some have labored for years to bring about social reforms even at the cost of their lives. Less than a year ago, Oswaldo Payá lost his life in what the government labeled a car accident, contrary to the accounts of the car’s driver. His ambition consisted of legally reforming the Cuban politics, which he attempted in the 1990s by collecting over 10,000 signatures for the Varela Project. Although it called for fundamental freedoms and human rights, the government only became more authoritarian.

Other groups lobby specific causes, which range from access to health care, to stopping political repression. Of these groups, the Ladies in White have garnered significant international attention. Their protests consist of walking silently through a park, in remembrance of their husbands who have been imprisoned for political reasons. This harmless act results in constant harassment, violence, and threats for these women.

Arguably, the most powerful and successful group of dissidents consists of the blogger movement. This began in 2007, when Yoani Sánchez published her blog, called Generation Y. In an unprecedented move, Yoani began openly publishing blog posts, which described the harsh Cuban reality. Although she faced government repression, her blog quickly earned her international acclaim – and censorship of the blog only resulted in further credence for Yoani’s claims. Five years later, dozens of Cubans have taken up this new form of activism in Cuba – blogging – as the only form of independent journalism in the island. Yoani’s blog can be read in 17 languages and she make stops around the world, including NYU during a three-day conference this weekend.

Bloggers such as Yoani Sanchez have come to symbolize the Cuban dissident movement. They have taken up the message from figures such as Oswaldo Payá and promulgated it across the web. Perhaps within a generation, dissidents will become the next leaders and politicians of Cuba. For this reason, the American government should not only listen but also discuss the future of Cuba.

Carlos Estevez is a staff columnist. Email him at [email protected].

• J

John AndersonMar 21, 2013 at 3:11 am

As a member of the Leftist vanguard we can not allow our Cuba to fall. Me must maintain our hatred of the first admendment, we can not allow free speech or a free press or we will lose power. Freedom of religion is even worse it is the opiate of the masses. Through the use of repression and the secret police we can keep power. We killed over a 100 million in the last century to further our aims, we have not run out of bullets or our will to help the proletariat.

• C

Carlos EstevezMar 16, 2013 at 11:18 am

An update for my readers, the Revolution Recodified conference began yesterday with a speech by Yoani Sanchez, she then took questions for about an hour and a half. She spoke calmly and respectfully about all aspects of Cuban life. After the speech I delivered this article to her and she was very moved.

Thanks for reading.

• M

ManuelMar 14, 2013 at 9:49 am

Who are these bloggers anyway? If they were living in the US would citizens here consider them to be radical outcasts and conspiracy theorists. I just read a FB status posted by Orlando Luis Pardo claiming that Castro had ties in the Vatican. Perhaps other Cuban citizens see these individuals in a similar light and for that reason these bloggers do not have any traction, as was stated before.

• M

ManuelMar 14, 2013 at 9:14 am

Adding to what has already been said, there is no such thing as “dissidence” in Cuba. The so-called opposition consists of a variety of individuals who each seek to advance their group’s individual interests. Added to this mix are illegitimate dissidents who act as puppets for the powerful Cuban American elites of south florida via CANF. I’m referring to characters like Oscar Elias Biscet, who refused to sign the Varela Project, which interestingly denies claims to past properties.

• L

LatAmMar 14, 2013 at 12:11 am

The dissidents have near-zero traction within Cuba; they exist mostly for consumption abroad. The Cuban government does regular opinion polling –aside from what it learns through the mass organizations– and knows what concerns the people without need for a blogger to express opinions in foreign newspapers. To what degree it decides to respond, or is able to do so, as with the dual currency, is something else.
    The new rules on travel are an example; people wanted that, the government…

• A

Alejandro MartíMar 13, 2013 at 11:43 pm

A couple of things:
    I don’t think the reforms you referred to are “meant to liberalize the country.” If anything, they are meant to alleviate the country and thus save the skin of PCC and its monopoly of power. They’re reading pretty well the discontent of the population and the events of the Arab Spring.
    It’s also vague and unclear what you mean by “the U.S. government should look to dissidents as the potential agents of change” or “We must…turn to Cuban dissidents as meaningful agents…