Mara Hoffman Fall/Winter 2014

Click on image for more looks from Mara Hoffman F/W 2014

Heavily influenced by the landscapes and cultures of Northern Africa, Mara Hoffman’s Fall/Winter ‘14 collection came alive at Lincoln Center with striking prints and relaxed silhouettes.

The show opened with lively drumming mixed with eclectic house music, mimicking the blended styles and energies of the pieces. The first look featured a black-and-white star jacquard coat with matching pants and a turtleneck—a major difference from her brightly colored Spring/Summer ’14 collection this past September. Yet, her signature prints and playful geometric patterns throughout made a welcome comeback in the form of chiffon veils and silk jumpsuits.

Key players in the collection were low-cut spaghetti strap camisole gowns decorated with vibrant sequins and embroidery detail. Long-sleeved embellished gowns were similarly featured with the addition of geometric sheer cut-outs covering the back and sides and of the waist. Another feature of the collection were layered fringe frocks separated by shear blocks of fabric.

The color palette ranged from blacks and deep blues to winter whites of varying textures. Touches of camel were also present. Of course, one cannot overlook her pops of color in the form of accents from start to finish. Simple gold chokers and thin arm cuffs complemented the metallic elements in the garments, and models also donned low-hanging ponytails pulled back into a gold braid at the ends.

Note-worthy celebrities in attendance included fashion photographer and TV personality Nigel Barker (America’s Next Top Model; The Face) and actress Victoria Justice (Victorious).

Through the pieces displayed in the collection Mara Hoffman revisited her study of lights and darks while still embodying the spirit of the Moroccan and Egyptian region. As she aptly summarizes in three words, “The journey continues…”

Gianna Collier-Pitts is the editor of Violet Vision. Email her at [email protected]