Degen Spring/Summer 2015

Madison Reis, Contributing Writer

Beach balls, palm trees, neons and pastels transported spectators to a psychedelic beach in the middle of a utopian world that was Degen’s Spring/Summer 2015 collection. In this paradise, entitled “Vision Quest,” it’s summer all the time with rainbow-marble bathing suits, playful black-and-white floral prints courtesy of Gretta Johnson, and matching uniformed Teva shoes. Known for her quirky and playful knits that are youthful and sexy, Lindsay Degen showcased a newer, more wearable side to her designs that still hold all of her signature whimsy! Leggings, shorts, bathing suits and tank tops accompanied Degen’s unique knits. Featured center on a male model were loose-knit lounge pants in a spectrum of hues and designs that channeled the graffitied walls of Degen’s nearby hometown, Brooklyn. Afraid the wearability of the collection made it too calm, the designer added vibrantly colored knit life vests with perfectly placed cutouts to continue her unusual aesthetic. Entranced with beach-ready dance music, models conveyed a lightheartedness as color-dusted makeup by INGLOT added an accented pop to their playful laughs. The braid trend will stay in for another season as the models’ dreaded locks complemented their care-free vibe. Though unknown to most, this kaleidoscopic scene held a much deeper meaning. “This season, I was really upset about all of the [recent] world events including ISIS, the young girls in Africa, and Ferguson,” said Degen. “So my inspiration this season was about getting into this psychedelic escape from it all.” As the presentation room filled with waves of laughter and carefree chit-chat, it seemed clear that Degan’s goal was successfully reached. Email Madison Reis at [email protected].