Jay Godfrey Spring/Summer 2015

Anna Deustua and Levi Supowitz

A barefoot Idgy Dean stands center stage, stomping on guitar pedals and wailing into a single microphone. Around her stands Jay Godfrey’s Spring/Summer 2015 collection, actively encompassing his “Electric West” theme: fringed dresses, cropped chevron-patterned tuxedos, and tea-stained ivory lace, all alluding to a time when, “the Rolling Stones and The Eagles tapped into country roots,” said Godfrey. Simply put, it is western Americana meets rock ‘n’ roll.

The designer was quick to define his brand’s woman: “a little uptown, a little downtown” focused on “clean lines” and, of course, the perennial notion of “sexy,” said Godfrey.

With this season’s collection, Godfrey injected classic western principles into his modern New York woman, including his first foray into denim. Standouts included a quilted-sequined denim poncho styled with a denim mini dress and matching top hat. The designer also continued his eco-conscious principles, using vegan leather for the jackets and pants.

Although only his second time at Fashion Week, Godfrey presented his models unconventionally, lining the perimeter of a square stage covered in loose hay. Utilizing more subdued tones of browns, greys, and black and white, Godfrey continued in the same direction of his previous season. However, among these dresses, a side-fringe gown in emerald green stood out, an obvious nod to his previously extensive use of color-blocking. Likewise, a classic chevron print was displayed not only upon a cropped tuxedo, but also on a deep v-neck sequin gown.

While the western Americana vibe has already been touched upon by the likes of Hedi Slimane and Paul Smith, Godfrey still managed to shine amidst the crowd with humility.

“There must be something in the air,” said Godfrey.

Godfrey sourced his inspiration as coming from the moment he heard The Rolling Stones’ rock anthem “Let It Bleed” while jogging one morning. The same fast-paced spirit held steadily throughout the show, only subsiding when the last note was played.

Email Anna Deustua and Levi Supowitz at [email protected].