Pamella Roland Spring/Summer 2015

Natalie Matejkova, Contributing Writer

Led by the dramatic bang of a gong, the first model in a crème satin dress entered the runway between cherry blossom screens for Pamella Roland’s Spring/Summer 2015 collection.

The entire collection, inspired by the Gardens of Kyoto and Roland’s travels to Japan, captured the mood in elegant pastel-colored satin dresses. Roland ensured that her clothing was the main focus of the show, having all of her models wear their hair up in long ponytails with natural makeup and light pink or baby-blue eye shadow.  This brought attention to the designs themselves, as many revealed the shoulders to once again remind us of spring.

The expected pastel colors, which overwhelmed the Spring/Summer 2014 collection, gently transitioned to bolder prints, lively textures decorated with beadwork and colored flowers.  The dynamic pieces, inspired by modern Japanese artist Toko Shinoda, were further complemented by folding techniques drawn from classical Japanese origami.

Once the pieces became bolder in the later half of the show, the music evolved into a milder trance, and trendy beats that brought a vibrant atmosphere to the first part of the show were now replaced by the strings and flutes associated with Japanese culture.

The collection concluded with an ivory brushstroke chiffon bridal gown that awed the audience. Pamella Roland successfully incorporated elements of old and new Japanese culture in one collection, bringing out the best of both eras to continue the wave of cultural exploration.

Email Natalie Matejkova at [email protected].