Yhaniqua Lopes Spring/Summer 2015

Lauren Craddock, Contributing Writer

The Yhaniqua Lopes Spring/Summer 2015 Collection easily illustrated the designer’s personal proverb: to inspire women to be strong & fearless. The designs exhibited Lopes’ African roots by combining upbeat patterns and colors, highlighting and embodying the innate beauty and natural elegance women carry.

Playing into the current trend of knee-length skirts,  Lopes’ collection featured mid to full length skirts that cinched high at the natural waistline. Patterns in a rainbow spectrum of colors with touches of burlap detailing mingled on skirts and occasional dresses, embracing a curvy feminine figure.

What especially stood out was the liberating top that accompanied a majority of the looks. A simple black, wide-strap tank top with a Bible verse from Proverbs 31:30 printed across the chest: “Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.” The tops added a sense of uniformity that tied the collection together.

One particular piece that left the audience oohing and aahing was a mid-length, checkered pattern skirt featuring polka dots in hues of bright amber orange, garden green and faded carolina blue. The skirt was paired with Lopes’ new signature Proverbs 31:30 tank top and a larger than life matching hat.

Yhaniqua Lopes’ collection embodied the essence of a woman who is playful, colorful, and natural.

Email Lauren Craddock at [email protected].