NYU community must step up in Sexton replacement search

WSN Editorial Board

In light of NYU President John Sexton’s scheduled resignation in March 2016, the first Presidential Search Committee listening session for faculty was held this week. These sessions are meant to give the NYU community a voice in deciding our next leader. The four meetings are open to either faculty, students or staff in order to encourage “candor and forthrightness,” said an NYU spokesperson. However, according to a graduate student in attendance, only five faculty members came to the first meeting. Even among the Presidential Search Committee, which consists of trustees, faculty, deans, students and one administrator, the student senator council chair, the only undergraduate member, could not attend. The timing of these meetings is not convenient, as they are in the middle of the day when many classes are scheduled. However, given the extensive complaints against Sexton over the past several years, NYU faculty, students and staff who are able to attend the meetings need to take every opportunity available to them to speak about their opinions on the university’s future.

The lack of initiative that the NYU community has displayed thus far in finding a replacement for Sexton is unacceptable, especially considering the many grievances that have been expressed during his tenure. Throughout the years, students and faculty have protested against the university’s academic issues, the 2031 expansion goals, unethical corporate ties and debt reduction failures. Faculty members have repeatedly approved votes of no confidence in Sexton’s leadership. Several disconcerting stories have been released regarding the current administration, including but not limited to reports of egregious summer home loans, nepotistic housing practices and toxic prioritization of marketing over students. Notably, The New York Times featured an article about labor abuses on the NYU Abu Dhabi campus on its cover last May.

During the first listening session, faculty reportedly felt that NYU’s future president should be a top academic, and not someone with a business background. This important argument needs to be voiced by more than five people if it is to be heard. Where are the faculty members who voted in favor of a no confidence motion for Sexton last year? It is not enough to put pressure on Sexton to resign without working to find a better replacement, even in the early stages of the search.

Fortunately, there is another faculty session on Sept. 30 at 12:30 p.m., and one for administration staff the same day at 2:30 p.m. It is absolutely critical that those who will be working at NYU for many years to come voice their opinions now if they want to change the way the university is run. But it is even more important that students work to leave NYU better than they found it. Although these meetings are set to take place during busy class times, change is contingent on the attendance of those who can be present. We encourage students to attend this Friday’s Sept. 19 listening session, which will take place at 11 a.m. on the fifth floor of the Global Center for Academic and Spiritual Life.

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, Sept. 18 print issue. Email the WSN Editorial Board at [email protected].