Fall jackets combine warmth, style

David Bologna

Leather jackets remain a staple for fall fashion.

Caroline Ogulnick, Contributing Writer

When thinking of fall and winter fashion, one word comes to mind: jackets. Although it is important to find a jacket that will keep you warm during chilly days and frigid nights, it does not hurt to stay in style and invest in one of the top five jackets trends of the season.

The printed bomber has returned from last fall in a remodeled form to fit this season’s trending patterns. Bomber jackets were originally created for pilots, with padded shoulders and a stiff shape. The new style takes on many different varieties and is produced in materials ranging from shearling to leather. Lightweight silk or satin bombers are great for layering and can be styled with heavier outerwear for warmth.  Popular prints for these jackets include florals, baroque patterns and geometric shapes.

The trench coat is a coveted classic for the fall season. While the popular beige coat is seen most often, alternative versions are popping up in red, emerald and navy colors for fall and winter. Trench coats are both practical and timeless — they keep you protected from the rain while giving any outfit a sophisticated look.

The hooded motorcycle jacket is becoming one of the most sought-after outerwear pieces for fall. The jacket is a hybrid between a traditional hooded sweatshirt and a black leather jacket. It provides a comfortable, edgy feel and offers a layering look with just one garment.

The jean jacket is a returning favorite for the fall wardrobe. This season, however, the denim jacket is playing off of boyfriend-style jeans with a loose-fitting look. The large jean jacket is a casual piece that truly goes with everything. Because it is much roomier, it leaves space for layering with sweatshirts, other jackets or heavy scarves for very cold days.

Most daring of them all, the fringe jacket is the final must-have item for the upcoming cold season. Though the idea of tasseled clothing may be intimidating at first, fringe is a way to add movement to an outfit and make it more notable. The fringe jacket is commonly offered in suede and leather, with tassels along the sleeves and across the back. It may not be the warmest option, but if you are looking to break out of your shell this season, the fringe style is a great way to make a statement.

Instead of the predictable North Face, these trendy options provide an eye-catching look that is undeniably chic. Finding a jacket that fits you, in both style and comfort, is essential for the fall and winter seasons.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2014 print edition. Email Caroline Ogulnick at [email protected].