NYU offers diverse theater

Caroline Cunfer, Theater/Books Editor

Although the height of the Broadway season is arriving and the list of new plays and musicals to see is overwhelming, NYU’s impressive and eclectic theater scene is producing its own must-see, diverse and captivating theater this spring.

Catch Me If You Can

Tisch New Theater

This musical adaptation of the 2002 film of the same name tells the story of a deceitful Frank Abagnale Jr., who leaves home to pursue a luxurious life and lies until he is tracked down by the FBI.   “Catch Me If You Can” was nominated for four Tony awards in 2011, and includes a perky score by the same composer-lyricist duo that wrote for the equally ebullient “Hairspray.”  Tisch New Theater is open to any student, so a unique mix of drama and non-drama majors will be featured in this talented cast. You can catch the show between April 2 and 6 at the Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, and tickets go on sale online Jan. 27 at noon.

Hidden Talents: Uproar’s Speakeasy Cabaret

In February, Uproar Theatre produces another atypical production, this time a Speakeasy Cabaret.   This 1920’s-inspired event will feature both solo and group performances in a traditional cabaret style. The Speakeasy Cabaret will take place Feb. 7 at 8 p.m. 

The Drowsy Chaperone NYU Players Club

NYU Players Club is a student-run organization through the Steinhardt Vocal Performance Program, and this February it will present “The Drowsy Chaperone.” This musical, which graced Broadway in 2006, is a spoof on old-time musical comedies. It is a show-within-a-show — the play’s central character, Man in Chair, listens to the record of his favorite 1920s musical. The audience sees the show come to life in his living room as he punctuates its jazzy score with humorous and heartfelt insights. The Players Club will perform “The Drowsy Chaperone” from Feb. 13 to 15 at the NYU Black Box Theatre.

Spring Awakening

College of Arts and Science Theater

This spring, CAST will conquer Duncan Sheik and Steven Sater’s edgy rock musical, “Spring Awakening.” This 2006 Broadway game-changer is set in late-19th century Germany, where hormone-addled adolescents explore their blossoming sexuality. The breathtaking blend of rock- and folk-inspired music creates an addictive score that is sure to draw any musical lover. “Spring Awakening” grabbed eight Tony Awards in 2007 and its Broadway run lasted over two years. CAST will perform it from April 10 to 12, with a location to be determined.

Uproar Theatre Corps MainStage Production

Uproar Theatre Corps is a club run through the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development, and this spring it will debut a truly unique and innovative theatrical experience. Inspired by “Rent” and the artistic aura of the East Village, 10 actors and researchers will interview various people about their relationship with and understanding of art in New York City. The responses will be recorded and transcribed, and will then serve as a script for the actors, complemented with original songs by NYU students. Tompkins Square Park will host the performance in the East Village, and will occur from April 23 to 26.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Jan. 26 print edition. Email Caroline Cunfer at [email protected].