Presstea serves up coffee deal

Vanessa Haughton, Contributing Writer

It is time to start getting your coffee fix at the West Village cafe Presstea. The charming shop, located at Seventh Avenue and Perry Street, launched a program this week in order to fuel New Yorkers’ coffee obsession. For $25 a week, customers can purchase a pass for unlimited lattes and other coffee drinks.

Co-founder and co-owner George Kuan said he created the program in response to the astronomical cost of a cup of coffee in New York City. He hopes that Presstea will help people more easily afford their daily cup of joe. Kuan claims that the program is designed to be affordable, citing the high cost of a single latte.

“One latte on average costs around $4 to $4.50, so with this program, you get an unlimited amount of lattes and other coffee drinks and the price savings are very significant, especially for students on a budget,” Kaun said.

NYU students have varying opinions about Presstea’s program. LS freshman Lana Rodriguez noted that the program might be a good deal, but only for regular coffee drinkers.

“At first $25 a week sounds like a lot,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t drink more than two cups in a week. But I have friends who have at least two cups a day. With coffee prices around $2.50 per cup, in a week, the pass would probably save money for those who are more frequent drinkers. It is definitely a solid idea if you buy espresso or latte drinks.”

Gallatin senior Shannon Coulson said she thinks monthly program might attract more customers, especially for people who don’t visit the shop every day.

“I think the idea of unlimited coffee is awesome, but $25 seems really steep,” Coulson said. “Also, I think the program might be more successful if they did it on a monthly basis rather than weekly.”

CAS senior Jack Sterne said he believes the program has potential for saving money, but added that the cafe’s single location is a drawback.

“I definitely drink more than $25 of coffee per week — but it would be better if they had locations across the city, not just in one area,” Sterne said.

For some, the inexpensive brews will be enough to lure them to Seventh Avenue, but the pass is not ideal for just casual drinkers. Though the best way to pay for coffee is debatable, Kuan addresses the problem all New York’s coffee drinkers face.

“Our inspiration was drawn from the simple fact that there was a lot of demand for New York coffee and we wanted to give people the opportunity to have coffee at their will without being overcharged,” Kuan said. “It’s very expensive to buy coffee in New York.”

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Feb. 3rd print edition. Email Vanessa at [email protected].