Intramurals offer opportunities for fun

Jonathan Schifman, Contributing Writer

With over a week of classes already complete, students interested in sports and competition can start registering for NYU spring intramurals.

Intramurals have become popular at NYU in recent years, and can get very competitive.

Tisch senior Kahlil Maskati has enjoyed a long intramural career here at NYU.

“NYU intramurals are really fun,” Maskati said. “I’ve played basketball and volleyball, and I love how organized and competitive everything is. It’s gotten cooler and more interactive every year.”

CAS senior Justin Gee felt similarly,  saying intramurals can be a great way for students to interact and find common ground.

“Being a part of a team was awesome,” Gee said. “You build community and develop your skills together as the season goes on.”

Those who sign up should expect one or two times per week. But Gee emphasized the balance between intramurals and academics is not difficult.

“The structure of intramurals is great,” he said. “The scheduling was flexible enough for me to be able to handle school and enjoy playing during the semester.”

Registration on IMLeagues ends for some sports next week, while others have deadlines in March and April.

Sports

3-on-3 Basketball: A six to seven week regular season followed by an NCAA March Madness-like single elimination tournament. The registration deadline is Feb. 9 with a league start date of Feb. 16.

Men’s and Women’s Volleyball: A six to seven week regular season followed by a single elimination tournament. Registration deadline is Feb. 9 with a league start date of Feb. 16.

Team Handball: A coed league that plays on Tuesday nights. Registration deadline is Feb. 9 with a league start date of Feb. 14.

Indoor Cricket: A six week season followed by playoffs. Registration deadline is Feb. 10 with a league start date of Feb. 17.

Tennis (singles and doubles): A single-elimination tournament played on the rooftop courts at Coles Sports Center. Registration deadline is March 23 with a league start date of March 30.

Indoor Soccer: A 32-team soccer tournament that plays at the Chelsea Piers Field House. Registration deadline is March 23 with a league start date of March 27.

Bowling: A coed league that meets on Friday afternoons at Bowlmor Lanes. Registration deadline is March 23 with a league start date of March 27.

Softball: A coed league that plays on Sunday mornings and afternoons. Registration deadline is March 24 with a league start date of March 29.

A version of this article appeared in the Feb. 5 print edition. Email Jonathan Schifman at [email protected].