Mongol Fall/Winter 2015

Divya Jethwani, Contributing Writer

Darkness engulfed the Theatre and scintillating sounds of the Mongolian morin khuur resonated from the speakers at Lincoln Centre. A Mongolian musician, who was later joined by a hip-hop singer, inaugurated the Mongol Fall/Winter 2015 collection by Bayarmaa Bayarkhuu with a spectacular performance. Initially commencing with slow and soothing rhythms, the music transformed into a dubstep remix showcasing the true essence of the collection. Combining the old with the new, Bayarkhuu took her audience on a journey to ancient and oriental Mongolia.

The collection illustrated an eclectic combination of traditional Mongolian costumes and urban casual style, striking the perfect balance between tradition, luxury and casual comfort. Bayarkhuu’s collection incorporated ensembles featuring Mongolian lamb fur, cashmere, embroidered silk, leather, bold colors and raw materials such as plastic and PVC. The pieces featured ornate fabrics in opulent colors that included turquoise, amethyst, sapphire and emerald to accentuate the raw materials used.

Despite drawing inspiration from traditional Mongolian dressing, Bayarkhuu maintained contemporary fashion trends with the use of laser-cut applique overlays, geometric cutouts and sequins. The models also donned signature accessories including sling bags paired with classic black booties.

One of Bayarkhuu’s greatest risks was the use of PVC to compose several outerwear items.  However, the models perfectly pulled off these sleek, wearable pieces. The models also sported faux-fur jackets paired with cutout PVC pants and skirts, and the audience saw the return of capes and bell sleeves in several pieces in the collection.

Mongol was certainly a captivating collection and one to watch out for, as fashionable actress Maya Rudolph and television personality Tim Gunn could be found in the audience.

Email Divya Jethwani at [email protected]