Carmen Marc Valvo Fall/Winter 2015

Grace Halio, Contributing Writer

Carmen Marc Valvo’s Fall/Winter 2015 Collection put an elegant spin on school-girl (and school-boy) chic. There was an abundance of muted plaids in light gray, bold red, and inky navys and blacks. Calf-length pleated plaid skirts were paired with cashmere overcoats or cropped fur jackets.

Valvo’s menswear–though an unexpected part of the collection–was impeccably tailored. Sharp blazers, neutral hues, cropped trousers and loose skinny ties brought added sophistication to the plaid color story that ran throughout the collection.

The incredible gowns in Valvo’s collection took cues from menswear; delicate beaded collars adorned full gowns, and one dress even featured a tuxedo shirt top, pleats and all. This look blended perfectly with the other suiting that was spotted on the runway. Other full-skirted dresses in plaid, red and black fabrics were intricately accented by lines of bugle beads, bringing sparkle to the collection. Thick black patent-leather belts helped to accentuate the waists of the A-line shapes. Some of the silhouettes of the collection were incredibly reminiscent of those in Valvo’s past Spring/Summer collection, but luckily, the plaid motif added a new freshness to this season’s line.

Makeup was kept neutral so the garments could take center stage, and models sported low ponytails with loose twists and piece-y side bangs. Pointy toed black stiletto boots for the ladies and brown leather brogues for the men pulled the looks together.

Valvo cites “50’s Americana” as his inspiration for the collection. “It’s my 25th anniversary of being in business,” he said. “The inspiration really came from plaid, which I’ve never done before, and the schoolboy/schoolgirl theme channels the ‘little rascals’ idea. A little ‘Happy Days’, but also totally out of its element; more glamourous, not school kids.” The American designer was right on par with his classic designs and use of fall staples.

Each year i try to do something new and different to excite myself as a designer, and if i can do something I’ve never done before, hopefully that translates to the customer and my clientele and they find something they love,” said Valvo. At the finale of the show, models walked down the runway to Come On Eileen–Valvo’s show was arguably one of the most energetic and fun presentations to grace Lincoln Center this season.

Email Grace Halio at [email protected]