Furs, pastels take runway during New York Fashion Week

Mathilde van Tulder

The NYFW FW15 runway shows like the collection featured by Georgine were inspired by looks from the 70s.

Grace Halio, Contributing Writer

Guests of New York Fashion Week shows were swept away by ’70s vibes, piecey low ponytails and fresh faces for the upcoming Fall/Winter 2015 season — a continuation of trends seen in many Spring/Summer 2015 collections. Killer stiletto boots, plaid, feathers and furs dominated the runways.

Shows across fashion week exemplified the ’70s vibe with wide leg trousers, sheer sleeves and bumped-up ponytails. Christian Siriano showcased ’70s silhouettes in iconic gold, while Altuzarra showed 70s inspired work wear. Hairstyles from the same bright decade also dominated the runways. Pamela Rolland featured high, flippy ponytails; Karen Walker showcased natural, flowy looks; and Ohne Titel chose super straight, modern hair.

Carmen Marc Valvo’s collection was a notable one, showing fashionistas how to pull off plaid in a sophisticated way. His looks featured simple black and red combos with flirty skirts that offset the harsh lines of the pattern. Paired with a crisp white oxford shirt, the classic outfits got an updated twist.  Because of the classic silhouettes, these looks could easily be replicated on a budget using button-downs, circle skirts and plaid accessories.

Fur is another failsafe staple for the upcoming season. A jacket, vest or scarf is worth the investment. Though Michael Kors has always incorporated fur into his looks, his new collection used furs to accent chunky knits and menswear-inspired looks. Luxurious coats and vests both brought polish to an outfit. A less costly and less bulky option is to invest in a fur scarf, which is a perfect addition to a knit dress, tights and boots. Faux fur is another great option. Carmen Marc Valvo and Christian Siriano featured furs in their collections as well, with the latter showing camel fur and more bold animal-printed furs. Helen Yarmak, a designer who specializes in furs, showed a collection full of cozy pieces that could transform from coats to vests, or hooded to not.

Pastels — spotted at Helen Yarmak and Lela Rose — made a slightly out of place appearance in the collections, perhaps to remind us in the bitter cold of winter that spring will be shining on the horizon. When used as a pop of color or an interest piece, pastel blue or pink can bring a youthful flair to an outfit.  These colors can be easily incorporated into neutral looks through fun accessories.

Simple stiletto boots were seen all over the runways. The pointy-toed leather variety work especially well when paired with long coats, skirts or a tailored pant. Pamella Roland paired each look with a pair of suede Manolo Blahnik boots — a classic.

Christian Siriano and Michael Costello put feathery looks on display at their shows. Siriano showed black gowns and skirts dotted with hundreds of white feathers that had incredible movement on the runway. The closing look of Pamella Roland’s collection had a cropped white overcoat, while Lela Rose’s collection included a breathtaking look consisting of a white feathered top with pink skirt. The feathers used in each collection added a little bit of fun to a cold and dreary season.

The trends for the Fall/Winter 2015 season shared some of the inspiration and success of the Spring collections, and the must-have pieces promise a cozy yet bright upcoming Fall season.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, Feb. 25 print edition.  Email Grace Halio at [email protected]