How to stop worrying and love the GMO

Tim Bishop, Contributing writer

A quick Google search of the term “genetically modified organisms” results in websites enumerating their dangers and preaching avoidance. But they fail to link these assertions to any specific research. These sites resemble those that make spurious claims about a link between vaccines and autism, and spread the same type of fanatical, science-phobic attitude that allows preventable diseases like measles to persist and keeps fluoride out of drinking water in Portland. Unfortunately, these sites reflect the views of many regarding GMOs, particularly modified foods. A recent article in National Geographic titled “The War Against Science” addressed individuals’ tendencies to trust instinct and personal anecdotes over scientific arguments, and views toward GMOs are no exception to this trend.

Notable detractors of GMOs, like Bill Nye, are starting to change  their stance. And now American consumers, rather than farmers, will start to receive the direct benefit of GMOs. The USDA recently announced that they will deregulate  the Arctic apple, a fruit that has been modified so that browning doesn’t occur. This form of modification produces no harmful chemicals, and simply eliminates the protein responsible for the unpleasant discoloring. This innovation will keep apples looking fresh for longer and could cut down food waste. Hopefully, this deregulation will spur GMO projects aimed at improving consumer goods. Unfounded consumer fears hamper the development of a potentially vital technology.

While claims of dangers to consumers have been consistently
refuted, there certainly are valid concerns about GMOs. Among the sensible concerns is horizontal gene transfer, a process through which some GMOs may confer their new genes to unwanted recipients. Transferring these resistant genes to pests and weeds would make them more difficult to remove. The introduction of GMOs into the wild may also have impacts on ecosystem dynamics that need to be studied on a case-by-case basis. There are legitimate concerns about GMOs, but consumer safety is not among them.

The commercial use of GMOs is on the rise, and new applications for them are spreading even outside of farms. Researchers have developed mosquitos lacking reproductive viability, reducing wild populations and thwarting the spread of infectious diseases.

In the future it is likely that dependence on biotechnology will increase in order to meet the food and fuel demands of a growing population. As such, it is increasingly crucial for young people to gain a better understanding of them. The dialogue about such a divisive topic must remain grounded in science and devoid of misinformation prompted by vague fears of unnaturalness.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, March 11 print edition. Email Tim Bishop at [email protected].