Sports Recap: March 27-29

via gonyuathletics.com

Thangirala won his #1 singles match.

Michael Thompson, Contributing Writer

It was a busy weekend for NYU athletics, as the Violets’ baseball, tennis, volleyball and track and field teams were all in action.

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams struggled as they took part in two separate competitions: the Raleigh Relays and the Monmouth Season Opener. The competitions were individually scored, and, for the most part, the Violets had a hard time cracking the top 10. Their best finishes came from senior Tom Longabaugh, who came in second in pole vault, and sophomore Nick Hespe, who followed him in third.

It was a tough weekend on the diamond for the NYU baseball team. The Violets were swept in a three-game series against Brandeis University by scores of 4-2, 11-8 and 3-1. The three consecutive losses bring their record to 5-12 for the season. Regardless of this weekend’s outcomes, the series was historic, as it was the first set of home games for the first Violets team since 1973. NYU President John Sexton threw out the first pitch at MCU Park during Saturday’s first game against Brandeis. Sexton sported a customized jersey with his name and the number 15 on its back, signifying 2015 as the year of the Violets’ return to baseball.

The softball game was cancelled due to bad weather.

In the last home game, a celebratory day for seniors, the NYU men’s volleyball team, ranked ninth by the American Volleyball Coaches Association, split a pair of matches on Saturday, losing to seventh-ranked Nazareth College, but then rebounding with a victory over Massachusetts Institute of Technology to improve their record to 14-8. Seniors Andrew Quirk and Arya Amirhekmet were honored before the match against MIT. The Violets won the first set against Nazareth before losing the next three, but were able to fight back from a one set deficit to defeat MIT.

Both Violet tennis teams experienced tough defeats Saturday against the University of Rochester.

Before the men’s matches, seniors CJ Leong and Billy Smithline were honored. However, the extra motivation and a furious comeback were not enough, as the Violets lost by a score of 5-4, with the deciding point being the final singles match of the day.

The women’s team also lost in a tight 5-4 contest against Rochester. The Violets won matches in both doubles and singles play, including a massive 8-1 victory by the doubles team consisting of junior Carmen Lai and sophomore Laila El Dessouki.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 30 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].