Best options for entertaining out of town guests

Brussel Rand, Staff Writer

We get it. It’s April. You’ve seen all the great stuff in New York. Central Park, Empire State Building, it’s all passe to you now. However, upon further inspection, New York City never runs out of surprises for the attentive eye. Check out this list for some of New York City’s hidden gems to hit up this weekend.

Manhattan Document Destruction

Remember when you were little and your parents would tell you bedtime stories about magical lands where all the paper in the whole world would be shredded when people were done using it? Where Paper Elves would throw huge piles of paper into big machines to be turned into slightly smaller pieces of paper? Until now, you probably just thought it was all some old wive’s tale. However, this magical place that you once thought only exists in your dreams was real. Manhattan Document Destruction is an almost mystical place where documents of all kinds are thrown into paper shredders: newspapers, photos, official government documents, all come to their resting place in this childhood memory. If you want a real nostalgia trip, check this place out.

Oppenheimer Laboratory (Abandoned)

Many people aren’t aware of the fact that famous scientist J. Robert Oppenheimer had a small laboratory functioning in the East Village, and fewer know that it’s still there. One of the few East Village locations untouched by recent waves of gentrification, Oppenheimer Labs is a one of a kind. However, after a mass accident in 1943 that left unhealthy amounts of radiation throughout the interior of the building, the the lab has since been closed and visitors are only allowed in for short amounts of time for safety reasons.

EDIT: Since the writing of this article, Oppenheimer Laboratory has been bought out by NYU as part of the 2031 Expansion plan. Work on the “Oppenheimer Laboratory Memorial Dormitory” for first year students will begin this fall.

Carl’s House

Remember Carl? That guy who used to sit behind you in freshman bio? He lives in Manhattan now. Sure, you haven’t spoken to him since graduation and you guys were never really that close but, when in Rome, right? Maybe stop by, ask him how he’s been doing, stay for a beer or two, and try to maintain a normal conversation to disguise the painful awkwardness of the situation. Ask him things like “How are the kids?” or “So what do you do these days?” Carl usually leaves the house by 3:00 to pick up his children from school and sometimes has poker nights on Tuesdays so you better reserve a spot early.

Dan’s Bowling Alley

Looking for an old fashioned game of bowling after a long week of work? Before 2005, Dan’s Bowling Alley was the place to go. With old neon lights, a bar and a built in pizzeria, Dan’s was a staple of old Manhattan culture. Unfortunately, Dan’s has since been renovated into a clothing department store, but who’s to say the fun has to end? Fans of Dan’s, often referred to as “Danny’s Devils,” often go into the department store and roll bowling balls around on the floor and play a traditional game of bowling with clothing racks, shelves, and sometimes customers. Better polish your ball and strap on your shin guards before you head down to Dan’s, because you’re gonna need it.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, April 1 print edition. Email Brussel Rand at [email protected].