Stern student starts business

Gordon’s business plan relies on his “Triangle of Power.”

Lolsy Madge, Staff Writer

Stern junior Chris Gordon is heading up a new business venture called Producing Ostentatious Networth from Zero International, a startup aimed at connecting young entrepreneurs. What started with nobody — the “zero” — has become a rapidly expanding network of business students who can use their connections with each other to land jobs in the future. The company is accumulating high profits thanks to what Gordon calls “the triangle of power,” built by NYU students who act as sales representatives and investors.

Gordon, who is working toward his B.S. in marketing and finance, said he did not just have profits in mind when he started the enterprise — merely wanted a tool for his fellow business students to expand their sales expertise.

“I really saw a need for my classmates to get that practical experience of selling directly to customers, so our model is all about getting other students involved,” Gordon said. “We’re selling an idea to students, for students.”

Stern students can join Gordon’s network of sales representatives by paying periodic nominal fees. In keeping with the startup’s goal of building sales expertise, they earn a bonus for every new student they recruit to join the team.

“It was important to me that there was an incentive to get others to join in,” Gordon said. “The idea is that every guy gets two other guys to get involved with the team.”

Professor Jen Castillo, who taught Gordon in her Business at the Top of the Pyramid class last semester, said she was impressed with his skills as a developing businessman and is looking forward to seeing how his business will fare over time.

“Gordon excels at the head of a team,” Castillo said. “He’s got a dynamic personality and great persuasive skills, so it’s only fitting that he could develop this company that, while still small, has grown exponentially in membership. I’m curious to see how this success will be sustained.”

This quickly expanding network is mostly made up of freshmen, as Gordon said their relative inexperience drives them to succeed. One such student is Stern freshman Josh Sanger, who said the business model seems like a good idea for college students in need of some extra money on a flexible schedule.

“When Chris came up to me during Welcome Week and told me about his company, I knew I had to get skin in the game,” Sanger said. “NYU is really expensive, so the idea that I could make enough money from my dorm to go on spring break in less than a semester was hard to say no to.”

Sanger added that, although he is still waiting to receive some of the recruitment reimbursement, he has faith in Gordon’s ability to deliver.

“I heard he’s moving into a penthouse next semester, so the business is obviously lucrative,” Sanger said. “I’m not worried — he clearly knows what he’s doing.”

Gordon said although he has enjoyed his startup’s success, he plans on pursuing a career on Wall Street after graduation.

“At PONZI, we’re dedicated to making money by connecting young entrepreneurs,” Gordon said. “I can see the triangle of power bringing in profits for a long time to come.”

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, April 1 print edition. Email Lolsy Madge at [email protected].