Staff Recommendations: Spring spots

Shawn Paik

The High Line extended another four blocks last fall, bringing its total distance to roughly a mile and a half.

WSN Staff

East River Park

Having just finished our East River Park photo shoot for Fringe, we are practically experts on all of the fun activities that the park has to offer. Teenagers can be seen running through the park with sticks between their legs, optimistically trying to recreate the wizarding world of Harry Potter in the series’ classic game of Quidditch. Other highlights include the exercise park, the basketball courts and the scenic harbor view of the Hudson River, which is perfect for running, strolling and hand-holding. The Williamsburg Bridge sits majestically in the distance, perfect for your spring Instagram needs. — Sophie Lewis and Gabriella Bower, BStyle Editor and Violet Vision Editor

The High Line

Now that the last of the winter snow has finally melted away, the time has come to venture into the world outside of Washington Square Park. With the intolerable windchill of March, it can be easy to forget about all of the beautiful spots to visit in the spring. A great place to go on a sunny day is the High Line. It will not be nearly as busy as Central Park and is less than half the distance away. The park has blossoming gardens and beautiful views, and will even give you the opportunity to say that you got some exercise in for the day. Even better, perhaps, is that it is totally free. — Miranda Kumpe, Copy Editor

Meow Parlour

The Japanese-inspired Meow Parlour is located in the eastern edge of Chinatown, where you can spend the afternoon with a handful of free-roaming cats that are available for adoption. Although you can go to Meow Parlour year-round, the warm, cat-shaped pastries — for purchase at the Meow Patisserie around the corner — and the affection of a furry friend is perfect for a rainy day. Reservations can be made online and are often full weeks in advance, but they accommodate walk-ins if you are willing to wait. Pricing is $4 for a half-hour and is open everyday of the week except Wednesday.  Hannah Pederson, Copy Editor

JBL Live at Pier 97

JBL Live at Pier 97, which opened in 2014, is located on 57th St. and the West Side Highway, and offers concert-goers an outdoor venue alternative for live music. With a 6,000-person capacity, JBL Live at Pier 97 grew from a partnership between the Hudson River Park and Live Nation. Since JBL Live at Pier 97 is only a seasonal venue, the beginning of spring presents New Yorkers with the opportunity to enjoy the live music as well as the spring weather. Performances at the venue will continue into the summer, including artists such as Third Eye Blind, Dashboard Confessional and the Barenaked Ladies. — Alexa Spieler, Arts Editor

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, April 15 print edition.