Crime Log: April 8-16

Lexi Faunce, Staff Writer

The NYU Department of Public Safety received reports of one incident of burglary, eight incidents of larceny, one incident of criminal mischief, one incident of arson, one incident of robbery and one incident of sexual offense between April 8 and April 16.

Burglary

At 9:57 a.m. on April 9, Public Safety was notified that an NYU student at the Buenos Aires study away site reported to the local police that her host family’s house had been burglarized. 

Larceny

At 10:20 a.m. on April 8, Public Safety received a report from a Bobst Library member that her laptop was missing from a locker. The student reported that she had left the laptop for several hours and discovered it was missing when she went to retrieve it.

At 7:45 p.m. on April 8, a student notified Public Safety that her backpack, laptop and notebooks were stolen from the back of her chair while she was at the Kimmel Center for University Life.

At 2:26 p.m. on April 9, a student reported that her bicycle was stolen from Coles Sports Center after she had chained it to a bicycle rack that morning. At 6:05 p.m. on April 9, Public Safety was notified that a student discovered her iPhone was missing while she was sitting at the Academic Resource Center.

At 6:30 p.m. on April 11, Public Safety received a report from a faculty member that his iPad and laptop were stolen from the Leslie Computer Lab while he was helping his students earlier that afternoon.

At 1:15 p.m. on April 12, Public Safety was notified that a student found his NYU BikeShare bicycle missing after he had tied it to a bike rack near Thompson Street earlier that morning.

At 1:30 p.m. on April 16, Public Safety received a report from a contractor not affiliated with NYU that two construction carts were stolen from the loading dock entrance of Warren Weaver Hall.

At 3:10 p.m. on April 16, Public Safety was notified that three video cameras had been stolen from an office in Tisch Hall.

Criminal Mischief

At 4 p.m. on April 10, a Brittany Hall resident reported to Public Safety that his ex-girlfriend destroyed items he had left in a suitcase in her dormitory.

Arson

At 11:58 a.m. on April 13, Public Safety was notified that a student had set a piece of paper on fire and made a burn mark on the floor of Othmer Residence Hall.

Robbery

At 5:35 a.m. on April 16, Public Safety was notified that three unidentified men pushed a contract employee to the ground and stole her purse near campus. The university sent a safety alert to students via email notifying them about the incident.

Sexual Offense

At 12:15 p.m. on April 16, someone affiliated with NYU reported to public safety that they witnessed a white male inappropriately touch two women in Washington Square Park. The New York City Police Department was notified and deemed the individual emotionally disturbed.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 20 edition. Email Lexi Faunce at [email protected].