Best eateries in the West Village

Amanda Morris, Staff Writer

If you are looking for delicious cupcakes, stop by Magnolia Bakery, which offers a variety of $3.50 specialty cupcakes. Magnolia offers a wide variety of options such as the Hummingbird, which is described as a “banana, pineapple and pecan cake with sweet cream cheese icing topped with toasted pecans,” and the Truffle cupcake, which is a “devil’s food cake and chocolate or white chocolate truffle filling covered with chocolate ganache.” Perhaps even better than their cupcakes or other pastries is their famous banana pudding, which is creamy and sweet yet not overpowering. Even those who do not particularly love bananas will enjoy the dessert.

Pasticceria Rocco – 243 Bleecker St.

Another great spot to grab a bite in the West Village is Pasticceria Rocco. This Italian restaurant offers wonderful breakfast and lunch options for under $10, as well as dozens of desserts that are sure to suit any taste. Some of their best desserts are their traditional cannoli and their Italian-style cheesecakes.

Potatopia – 378 Sixth Ave.

The term “loaded baked potato” takes on a whole new meaning at Potatopia. Forget about just sour cream, bacon, chives and cheese — at Potatopia, you can get steak, roasted jalapenos, shrimp, roasted mushrooms and much more as toppings for your potato. This restaurant offers a variety of signature potato dishes such as the Veggie Heavy potato, which is topped with an assortment of delicious vegetables. Customers also have the option to create their own potato, where every feature of the dish is customizable as you can choose the type of potato you want, your sauce and your toppings, which are unlimited.

Artichoke Basille’s Pizza – 111 MacDougal Street

If you’ve never tried artichokes on your  pizza, this is the place to start. Though artichokes are not usually a popular pizza topping, Artichoke Basille’s Pizza uses them to make their iconic and delicious pizza. If you are not feeling adventurous enough for artichokes, the pizzeria also has many other more traditional options.

Hakata Tonton – 61 Grove St.

If you are looking to try something a little more exotic, Hakata Tonton is a Japanese restaurant most well-known for its pig’s feet, which are so tender that the meat literally falls off the bone. Another popular favorite at this restaurant is the hot pot, Hakata Tonton, from which the restaurant gets its name. Be sure to make a reservation before eating here, though, as sometimes the line can reach far outside the restaurant.

100 Montaditos – 176 Bleecker St.

It is common to find 100 Montaditos crowded on Wednesdays, as people flock there for their special $1 Wednesday sandwiches. In fact, everything on the menu costs a dollar on Wednesdays. Their sandwiches are small but cheap and delicious. Every other night, 100 Montaditos’ sandwiches are still only $2.50 each, and customers can get a special combo of three sandwiches, fries and one soft drink for only $8. One combination of sandwiches that is offered is called the Sevilla, which includes a mozzarella, tomato and pesto sandwich, a whole grain chicken, green pepper, tomato and aioli sandwich and a brie, arugula, onion and honey mustard sandwich. With variety like this, eating at 100 Montaditos is a good way to have a little bit of everything.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, April 21st print edition. Email Amanda Morris at [email protected].