Conversation over police brutality needs nuance

WSN Editorial Board

Felix David, a 22-year-old suspected of robbery, was shot and killed by police officers during a struggle on Saturday afternoon. The officers sustained non-life threatening head and shoulder injuries during the five minute fight in which the suspect broke one of the officer’s radios over his head. While David’s death comes at a time of criticism of the use of lethal force by the police, this situation must not automatically be seen as uncalled-for police brutality. Lethal force is certainly never the optimal response, but David was acting in a manner that significantly threatened the safety of the officers. This type of nuance is often lacking in the recent debates on police brutality, which sometimes brand all officers as murderers. These conversations are unproductive at best and actively lethal at worst.

The United States is in the middle of a much-needed national conversation about police brutality, and irrespective of whether the threshold of necessary lethal force was met, David’s death is a tragedy that adds to the troublingly large pool of individuals killed at the hands of the police. However, this killing is an example of a split-second decision that turned out to be wrong, as opposed to evidence of the systematic racism that exists in many U.S. police forces.

Despite historically low crime levels, the last 18 months have been marked by  strained relations between New Yorkers and the New York Police Department. It remains to be seen whether the news that minor offenses may be reclassified as civil rather than criminal offenses will reverse the NYPD’s broken window policy. It bears repeating that on-the-beat policing is not an exact science, and the vast majority of New York City’s 34,000 officers are capable service-members who do their job admirably.

There is a fine line between the justified use of lethal force and its misuse, one that officers must skirt often in their line of work. Decisions made on the spur of the moment have consequences for the lives of both the officers and suspects. The decision to use lethal force affects the lives of friends, families and communities of those shot. The stun gun is certainly a better option in the majority of altercations — it is better that people be subdued than killed.

The issue of police brutality and how to determine if and when lethal force is necessary must continue to be discussed. It certainly stands to reason that in situations where police feel that their safety is threatened, use of non-lethal force such as stun guns are far preferable to the alternative. Instead of continuing with two dissonant, competing monologues, the NYPD and its critics should engage in a dialogue to bring these two groups closer.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 27 print edition. Email the WSN Editorial Board at [email protected].