Golf teams impress over weekend, women move on to NCAA

via gonyuathletics.com

Kim leads the individual competition after round one.

Brad Waldstreicher, Contributing Writer

The NYU men’s and women’s golf teams competed at the Liberty League Championship this past weekend at the Clifton Springs Golf Club in Clifton Springs, New York.

The Violets teed off against their six opponents on Saturday and left victorious, thanks to amazing all-around performances. Led by freshman Alyssa Poentis, the team won with a total of 642 strokes. Poentis, a freshman from Hawaii, had the lowest score between the two rounds out of 36 individual golfers. The tournament win automatically enters NYU into the NCAA Division III Tournament, which will take place in Florida.

Other major contributors to NYU’s victorious effort were a trio freshmen: Lina Kim, Kristen Lee and Phoebe Zhao. The Violets have played well all season, as Kim, Lee and Poentis earned First Team All-Liberty League Honors. Though they’ve been performing well all season, they had not finished a tournament in first place since September 13. However, they have finished second in four of their most recent tournaments. Mount Holyoke College finished second in the championship, and Vassar College came in third.

The men finished fourth overall with a score of 661. Unlike the women, the men did not qualify for the NCAA Tournament. Freshman Paul Park stood out as NYU’s low scorer. He shot a 76 on Saturday and an 80 on Sunday. Coach Tom Kolean had an optimistic takeaway from the tournament, but felt the pain of seniors Matthew Gjonaj and Charles Van Cook, who competed for their last time in NYU uniforms. They completed the tournament in 23rd and 24th place, respectively.

Skidmore College won the Championship with a team score of 616. The men’s squad, however, will look to improve next year when Park and freshmen Hartej Gill and Christopher Nolte become the team’s leaders. With their season done, the men’s team will be in support of the women as they look to make some noise at the NCAAs.

Email Brad Waldstreicher at [email protected].