Track posts varied championship results

via nyuathletics.com

Powers leads the Association in the 100m and 200m entering UAAs.

Bobby Wagner, Sports Editor

The UAA Championships in Emory, Georgia were a representation of the Violets’ season in general.  After finishing in second on the first day, the men only managed to place six out of seven teams. The women were not much better, placing just one place higher.

On Saturday, everything was going right for the Violets. They performed well enough in heats to qualify for the final races of the day, during which the team excelled. On the men’s team, senior Johnny Lake and sophomore Carter Beardsley earned second place finishes in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and the shot put, respectively. Sophomore Budd Brown performed well enough on the weekend to be ranked in the top 10 nationally for Division III middle distance runners.

Beardsley continued his dominant streak this season. He was awarded with the NYU Athlete of the Week honor last week and proved his worth by following the award with a solid weekend. As for Lake, he nears the end of his NYU career looking to go out with a bang.

The rest of the team, however, was banged up on the second day. Junior Matthew Powers and freshman Malcolm Montilus were both out with tight hamstrings — a possible side effect of changing to balmy Georgia weather after facing the chill in New York City.

On the women’s side, junior Kristina Harris posted a 12.27 second 100 meter on Sunday, which was strong enough for second place. She shaved 0.17 seconds off her preliminary time, but was still not fast enough to get first, which went to Daisy Ogede from Washington University in St. Louis, the only runner who posted a time below 12 seconds.

“Personally, I think the team did really well,” Harris said. “We had a few last minute injuries from key players which hurt our relays and open events. Everyone came into the meet prepared to run their best and I think that our training and hard work was demonstrated. I think we have room for improvement, and our season is not over.”

Unlike most other spring sports, however, the track and field team are not quite at the end of their season. They will have a quick turnaround next weekend when they travel to Princeton, New Jersey to compete in the Princeton University Invitational. That will be the first of two meets before the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Championships, and then the subsequent NCAA Outdoor Championships, which will be the final meet of their season on May 22 and 23.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 27 print edition. Email Bobby Wagner at [email protected].