Pick up these popular popsicles

+A+pistachio+popGelato%2C+half-dipped+in+dark+chocolate%2C+from+Popbar+in+West+Village.%0A

Mathilde van Tulder

A pistachio popGelato, half-dipped in dark chocolate, from Popbar in West Village.

Natalia Barr, Staff Writer

New York City offers seemingly endless frozen treats. Though ice cream is often the obvious choice for a hot day, there are many spots around New York City where you can find popsicles — a childhood favorite that will surely satisfy your cravings.

Popbar (5 Carmine St.)

Popbar has endless options for creating your perfect popsicle. This shop handcrafts their traditional gelato, sorbetto and yogurt creations, and then serves it on a stick to offer a unique, portable twist on these frozen treats. You can order a pre-designed popsicle from the extensive menu, or create your own by choosing your flavor, like chocolate, peanut butter or green tea, and add your own “poppings,” such as nuts, sprinkles or chocolate. 

People’s Pops (118 First Ave. and other locations)

People’s Pops is a great choice for a sweet summer treat that is still healthy. The makers of People’s Pops use local, sustainably grown ingredients to make their ice pops and shaved ice, resulting in an assortment of fresh popsicles with flavors that vary every week, including Red Plum Raspberry and Blackberry Peach Jasmine. The shop has even published a cookbook for people to make their own ice pops.

La Newyorkina (The High Line between 17th St. and 18th St. and other locations)

Fany Gerson began La Newyorkina in 2010 because she wanted to share the frozen treats of her native Mexico. These popsicles, or “paletas,” are made from all-natural ingredients, and the flavors change seasonally. Flavors include Mango-Chile, Hibiscus and Avocado. You can find La Newyorkina paletas all over the city, from the High Line to Brooklyn’s Smorgasburg.

TropPops (Columbus Green Flea Market)

TropPops has some of the simplest popsicles in the city, as each popsicle contains only two ingredients: a piece of fruit and chocolate. TropPops uses fruit deemed part of the “Clean 15,” which are the most naturally uncontaminated fruits in an attempt to serve as healthy popsicles as possible. Each ice pop begins with a frozen banana, kiwi, mango or pineapple, which is dipped in dark chocolate and served on a stick. Not only are the popsicles good for your body, but the company also strives to be environmentally conscious, as each of its popsicle carts uses no electricity, batteries or gas, and the store relies on dry ice to keep their treats frozen.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, April 28 print edition. Email Natalia at [email protected].