Global Liberal Studies Commencement 

By Emily Bell, Blogs Editor

Though they traveled and studied all over the world during their time at NYU, members of the Global Liberal Studies class of 2015 gathered near Washington Square to celebrate on May 19.

LS dean Fred Schwarzbach opened and closed the fourth GLS ceremony, which was held at the NYU Skirball Center for the Performing Arts. Master teacher Al Piacente gave the faculty address and said the benefit of a liberal arts education is its ability to help carry a student into less traditional careers.

Upon crossing the stage, each student was given a customized stole with the flags of the sites where they had studied away.

Valedictorian Catalina Escalona gave the student address, incorporating slides of paintings into her speech to represent the significant events and feelings of the students. While she described the process of settling in to GLS and undertaking a senior thesis, Escalona also highlighted the third year, which for GLS students is spent studying away from NYU New York.

“Both at our global sites and in New York, we could explore our own interests thanks to the guidance of our strong core foundation in those first two years, and also with the support group of our faculty, staff, friends and family,” Escalona said.  “We were given the chance to complement our studies in the classroom with these outside experiences in the real world, which proved to be just as essential for our global liberal studies education.”

Emily Bell, Blogs Editor
Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation's annual Village Awards honor individuals, businesses and places that impact the community.
Shawn Paik, Editor-at-Large
Howdy. Y’all can just call me Uncle Lightnin’. I been shootin’ since I was just a boy down in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I shot everything from kids to politicians. I even shot a few small animals in my time. They say I got a shutter fast as lightnin’, and that’s why they call me Uncle Lightnin’....