Rooftop bars, restaurants offer dining with a view

Grace Halio, Deputy Features Editor

Saying goodbye to summer as the warm weather fades away doesn’t have to be sad; instead, celebrate by heading out to these rooftop bars and restaurants. Gather friends and grab your camera — these are views that you are not going to want to miss.

First on the list is La Birreria at Eataly. It is located in the heart of the Flatiron District right above Mario Batali’s Italian market on 23rd Street and Fifth Avenue. Offering killer views of the Flatiron Building, the semi-enclosed roof deck is conveniently close to NYU’s Washington Square campus. At La Birreria you’ll find beer, brewed right on the rooftop, along with Italian dishes that are influenced by Austrian and German cooking. It’s a prime spot for both a stargazing attempt at dinner or a vibrant lunch to celebrate the changing seasons.

Next is the Loopy Doopy Rooftop Bar at the Conrad Hotel. Loopy Doopy is a great place to meet friends after a long, hot day where you can enjoy stunning views of the sunset on the Hudson. Try one of their pairings of prosecco and popsicles for a refreshing twist on a classic drink. You may recognize the fresh fruit pops because they are People’s Pops, which has a popular stand on the High Line and storefront in Chelsea Market. Be sure to arrive before sunset (even on weekdays) if you are with a larger group, as seating is limited.

If Mexican meals are more your speed, check out the Cantina Rooftop in Hell’s Kitchen. Located above the famous Stage 48, it’s possible you’ve even been right near it before a night of clubbing or concert-going. Reservations are recommended, and well worth it, as Cantina has a budget-friendly menu for a restaurant of its kind. Steps away from the Hudson and surrounded by lush greenery and sparkly high rises, it’s the perfect place for a summer celebration.

Head to the Lower East Side to the Delancey for an all-inclusive dining, clubbing and rooftop experience. The three floor club houses a music venue, bar and jungle-like rooftop garden unlike that of any other. The Delancey has something for everyone, a simple menu and beautiful views of the Williamsburg Bridge from the Manhattan side.

Last, but certainly not least, is the Roof Garden Café and Martini Bar at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Spend the day roaming around the museum and head upstairs to the fifth floor for access to the roof. The cafe offers cocktails, sweets and light sandwiches and salads. The informal atmosphere makes outings with large groups a breeze, and nothing tops the panoramic view of Central Park and the Manhattan skyline.

A version of this article appeared in the Saturday, August 29, print edition. Email Grace Hailo at [email protected]