Summer 2015 News Recap

Alex Bazeley, News Editor

The Court of Appeals gave the green light to the controversial NYU 2031 expansion plan in June. Redevelopment of the Coles Sports Center will begin soon, with plans for a mixed-use academic building that will include classrooms, student and faculty housing and improved athletic facilities. (See more information here.)

The university senate voted in favor of divestment from fossil fuels back in May. While members of NYU Divest planned on presenting their proposal to the Board of Trustees in June, delays have stemmed progress.

NYU made a splash at the 69th Tony Awards Ceremony, with Ruthie Ann Miles (Steinhardt ’07) and Barbara Whitman (Gallatin ’88) each taking home hardware. This was Miles’ first Tony, while Whitman added a third to her collection.

A new program from the Polytechnic School of Engineering that gives military veterans an opportunity to become tech entrepreneurs graduated its first class this August.

NYU partnered with the Peace Corps to provide scholarships under the Paul D. Coverdell Fellows Program. The program will provide graduate school scholarships to returned Peace Corps volunteers and will be the largest fellows program between a university and the Peace Corps.

Robert De Niro told Tisch grads “you’re f-cked” at their graduation ceremony in May. Welcome back!

A version of this article appeared in the Saturday, August 29, print edition. Email Alex Bazeley at [email protected]