What you missed this summer in NYC dining scene

Kendall Levison, Dining Editor

Although only three months have passed since NYU let out for the summer, it has been more like an eternity for the New York City food scene. In a city where a new trend seems to start every week, being away for so long can make it hard to catch up, so here’s some summer food news to help you out.

Governors Ball Music Festival
While Governors Ball is ostensibly about music, many festivalgoers are just as excited about the food as seeing their favorite bands. This year’s lineup was particularly hip, because the festival partnered with the popular Instagram feed The Infatuation to curate the choices. Thai iced tea popsicles, foie gras donuts and lobster rolls were a few of the most popular dishes. If you missed the festival, just browsing the Instagram tag “GovBall-Eats” will make you feel like you were there.

Big Apple Block Party
Summer means barbecue, and the best barbecue this year in New York was found at Big Apple Block Party. Some of the country’s best-known barbecue experts (also called “pitmasters”) set up shop in Madison Square Park for this three-day annual festival. In addition to brisket and pulled pork, some tents sold more unusual offerings like Jamaican jerk baby back ribs. Some were upset that unlike last year, the festival did not sell tickets that allowed people to use a special line if they shelled out $275 for a VIP ticket. However, most people seemed in no rush to leave Madison Square Park. While they lazed on the grass, visitors snacked on slices of watermelon and treats sold by local Brooklyn bakery Robicelli’s for dessert.

Ice & Vice
This summer, experimental ice cream maker Ice & Vice made the leap from outdoor food markets to a permanent storefront. The shop, located at 221 E. Broadway, is now scooping out crazy flavors like 9AM (coffee ice cream with donut truffles) and Movie Night (a mix of buttered popcorn, raisins and chocolate). The store opened in June, and is still testing out new menu items. Keep an eye out as they roll out unusual ice cream sandwiches, sundaes and floats to go with their cups and cones. The gourmet ice cream market might be close to saturation, but Ice & Vice has a loyal enough fan base that they should be around for a while.

Charlie Mom
The Chinese restaurant Charlie Mom, which first opened in 1983, closed its doors on August 26. While its food was hardly innovative, Charlie Mom was a Sixth Avenue institution and many regulars are mourning the loss of another small West Village business. The restaurant was reportedly forced to close because of an increase in rent, and not a lack of customers. No word yet on whether the owners will try to resurrect Charlie Mom somewhere else in the city.

A version of this article appeared in the Saturday, August 29, print edition. Email Kendall Levison at [email protected]