‘Drunk History’ stumbles its way to hilarious third season

The new season of Drunk History premiers on Comedy Central.

Reda Fayad, Contributing Writer

The experience of watching “Drunk History” is, in many ways, a lot like drinking. The incoherency of the narrative, the meandering and somewhat rambling speech, make for an extremely entertaining version of history: a drunk history. In the third season premiere, “New Jersey,” writer Tess Lynch narrates an alcohol-tinted description of New Jersey’s history, from “Thaddeus Lowe: VIP Balloon Person” to the equally incorrectly named “Balloon Corps of the Civil War.”

As audiences keep watching, they get sucked further and further into the absurdity of it all: Lynch gets sidetracked into a “reverse fart noise,” derailing her oratory into a fanfare of great mouth-fart noises only drunk people can make. Following this, actor Rob Corddry of “The Daily Show” and Mark Proksch of “The Office” collaborate on a story about the scandalously named Bone Wars, resulting in a fit of giggles. Moment after moment, a show that requires months of researching historical events, hiring actors and recreating sets for a final product feels spontaneous and improvised, a prospect which is as intoxicating and addicting as the narrators’ drinks of choice.

Since its inception as a handful of “Funny or Die” videos preceding the series, “Drunk History” has kept the same formula, letting viewers drop in and out as they please without needing to catch up on previous episodes or even previous pieces of that same episode. The show — which, as of this January, has inspired a British spin-off — fits within the majority of Comedy Central’s lineup, while still feeling unlike anything else on the channel: it’s not quite a sketch show, a scripted show or a reality show. The series is funny, and has an insane pool of talented actors and comedians vying for parts. It is a high-quality, absurd antithesis of the traditional network sitcom. Every week, you know what you’re going to be tuning in to watch, and yet, as usually happens when people start drinking, you never know exactly what you’re getting into.

“Drunk History” premiered Sept. 1 and shows on Tuesdays at 10:30 p.m. on Comedy Central.

Email Reda Fayad at [email protected].