‘Goodnight Mommy,’ good luck sleeping

Australian horror movie released in the US on September 11th.

John Pope, Contributing writer

In the Austrian thriller “Goodnight Mommy,” written and directed by Severin Fiala and Veronika Franz, there are no jump-scares, no evil monsters and there isn’t a group of friends that gets killed off one-by-one. Yet “Goodnight Mommy” is one of the scariest movies of the decade, ranking among films like “It Follows” and “The Babadook.” “Goodnight Mommy” is a masterful blend of sympathetic characters, captivating cinematography, shocking twists and horrifying plotlines.

The movie begins with an array of cinematic brilliance as the camera scans the wilderness of a small Austrian town. The two twin boys Elias and Lukas, played by twins Elias and Lukas Schwartz, explore the gorgeous landscapes while playing tag. After an eerie still-shot of Elias trying to find his twin brother in a cave, the boys arrive home to their mother, who recently had facial plastic surgery. She resembles a mummy; her face is wrapped up in bandages and only reveal her mouth and a pair of sunken eyes. Her behavior seems odd to the boys, who claim that she has never acted so strangely. After a series of unpleasant encounters with their mother, the twin boys declare that an imposter has replaced her. From then on, the movie unfurls into a horrific, captivating thrill-ride, with a plot twist you would never expect.

Perhaps what makes “Goodnight Mommy” so unique is the plot direction of the film. Fiala and Franz not only wrote the story, but also they knew how to tell it. Their skillful direction only reveals itself at the end — while the shots of nature at the start of the movie seem meaningless at first, as the plot reveals itself, all these ostensibly pointless parts of the film begin to make sense.

Furthermore, Fiala and Franz take their time telling the story. No scene is too rushed or too short. The whole film is fleshed-out and has an ominously calming tone like “Foxcatcher” but is a little more intriguing. The tone starkly contrasts with the horror happening on screen when the film reaches the end, but not in a “nails-on-a-chalkboard” way. By its end, the film’s contrast creates an unforgettable experience for the viewer.

“Goodnight Mommy” calmly takes your breath away and doesn’t give it back to you until the very end. Even though the beginning of the film is drawn out, you can’t help but forgive the Austrian filmmakers because of how they horrified you and restored your hope in finding quality scary stories.

“Goodnight Mommy” is playing in theaters nationwide.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Sept. 14 print issue. Email John Pope at [email protected].