Strong second day for volleyball, breaks .500

via gonyuathletics.com

Frias had a pair of double-digit-kill matches for the Violets on Saturday.

Tony Schwab, Contributing Writer

The NYU women’s volleyball team finished their weekend at the Hawks Invitational in New Paltz, New York with two wins and two losses underneath their belts. The Violets lost both games on Friday to SUNY Fredonia Blue Devils and SUNY New Paltz Hawks both in four sets. But on Saturday, they recovered, sweeping Sage in three sets and beating Mount Saint Mary 3-1.

In the first game Friday, NYU went down 11-5 early in the first set, but managed to slowly come back and tie the score at 25 before falling 27-25. In the second set they were not able to recover after losing eight of the first nine points and lost 27-15. The third set was close throughout, featuring five lead changes. NYU eventually won that set 28-25, but went on to drop the fourth set, and the match, to Fredonia 25-21.

In the second game, NYU took an early 10-3 lead and held off a New Paltz rally to win the first set 25-23. New Paltz would lead for the majority of the second and third sets, and win 25-16 and 25-17, respectively. The fourth set was was tight, with New Paltz winning 26-24. Decca Borquist of New Paltz led the match with 18 kills.

The team’s fortunes would change on Saturday, where they dominated in their match against Sage, winning in straight sets, 25-20, 25-20 and 25-21. The Violets led for the entirety of the first game and nearly all of the second. The third game was closer, with Sage leading 20-18 before NYU won seven of the last eight points. Senior captain Nicole Frias would lead the team with 11 kills. Afterwards, she would be selected to the All-Tournament Team.

Against Mount Saint Mary, NYU cruised to a 25-15 first set victory, at one point going on a 9-0 run. After losing a back and forth second set 27-25, NYU would come from behind in the third, winning the last ten points for a final score of 25-22. In comparison the last set was not as tightly contested. The Violets led for most of the way and and cruised to a 25-20 victory. Freshman setter Daryl Mitchell led the match with 30 assists.

Next weekend the team will be traveling to Hoboken, New Jersey for the Ducks Classic. They will have matches against Kean University, Endicott College, Arcadia University and Stockton University.

A version of this article appeared in the Sept. 14 print edition. Email Tony Schwab at [email protected].