Fractured house bids goodbye to Boehner

John Ayroso, Contributing Writer

The day after he met Pope Francis, Speaker of the House and devout Catholic John Boehner announced his retirement from his office effective the end of October. Boehner led the House at a time when high political gridlock and tension plunged Congressional favorability to an all-time low, and so his retirement, remarkably, was welcomed by both political camps. Liberals were delighted at the departure of President Obama’s single most persistent and influential legislative opponent; Conservatives were delighted at the departure of a weak politician who did not do enough to oppose Obama. It is perhaps ironic that Boehner united Congress by retiring from politics, but his political career has been characterized by his attempts to court both sides of the US political spectrum. It remains to be seen, however, whether Boehner’s exit will reduce partisanship and political division.

As the face of a divided and ineffective Congress, Boehner resigned at a pitiful 19.2 percent favorability rating, despite being reelected several times in his home district. His habit of crying during public events made him an easy target for detractors who saw him as a weak leader. In addition, Speaker Boehner was given an impossible political task: to absolutely refuse cooperation with the president, the Democratic leadership and any Democrat looking to get any legislation through the House. Hamstrung by party leadership, John Boehner’s role was relegated to little more than a punching bag for Democrats, leaving Boehner to suffer the slings and arrows.

During Pope Francis’s address in Washington D.C. last week, Americans saw Speaker Boehner on the verge of tears once again. Many speculate that it was Speaker Boehner’s happiness at the Pope coming to the Capitol — after which, last week, he told reporters he had “nothing left to accomplish” — that led him to resign after the multiple, vicious battles inside Congress. Growing political pressure from the far-right contingent of the Republican party also took its toll on the Speaker as he was forced to strike down vital legislation at their behest: most notably, filibustering budget proposals and forcing government shutdowns in 2013 and 2014.

It is no surprise that Boehner finally cracked under the pressure. Though both parties have agreed to be pleased about Speaker Boehner’s departure, U.S. politics still remain more partisan than they have been since the Reconstruction era. And as he leaves the circus tent that is the current House of Representatives, only time will tell whether his replacement, Representative Kevin McCarthy, will stand as obstinately as Boehner did. More stubbornness in the House can only mean more government shutdown scares, more anxiety over budget deficits and more frustrating gridlock. The only difference is that Boehner won’t be blamed this time.

Email John Ayroso at [email protected].