Years & Years shines at Terminal 5 concert

Playing at Terminal 5 this past Wednesday, Years & Years continued their North American tour of their debut album, “Communion.”

Christina Hong, Contributing Writer

Electropop band Years & Years rocked Terminal 5 with their range of hits to support their debut album, “Communion.” Playing a sold out show on Wednesday, this was Years & Years’ first show at Terminal 5, having previously played at more intimate venues in New York City, like (Le) Poisson Rouge.

Tei Shi, who previously played at NYU’s Mystery Concert, opened for the band.  While Tei Shi seemed comfortable on stage, she left the crowd indifferent to her music, with just a few bobbing heads. While Tei Shi provided a good beat to bob your head along to, Years & Years brought songs with captivating choruses and harmonic melodies.

Years & Years, a three-person electropop band hailing from the United Kingdom, played their whole album, including hits like “King” and “Desire.” The band has mastered the art of making all of their songs catchy. Even if you had never heard the song before, you will find yourself humming and singing along to each song.

Frontman Olly Alexander has also garnered quite the fanbase for himself, as could be evidenced by the infinitely louder cry of the crowd when he first shyly came up on stage. Apart from his refined vocals, Alexander’s down-to-earth demeanor and endearing dance moves make him a frontman loved for his charisma. But for this generation’s affinity for synthy chill-pop makes him the perfect frontman for the modern music market.

The only complaint the fans had was that the concert was too short. The band’s growing and dedicated fanbase could have benefited from more dialogue from the band or more covers in their setlist. All this being said, it is ultimately Years & Years’ ability to make synthy, catchy music that will keep them afloat in the ever growing genre of electro pop. 

Email Christina Hong at [email protected].