Food halls to chow down in

Food halls to chow down in

Taylor Nicole Rogers, Contributing Writer

Serious food lovers and casual television viewers alike rejoiced after celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain announced his plan to open a food hall on Pier 57. Opening in 2017, Bourdain’s food will be home to 100 vendors including butchers, Bourdain’s favorite tostada stand from Mexico and a full service restaurant. Even though the 155,000 square foot gourmet food court will not open for two years, there are still are plenty of great New York City food halls to enjoy in the meantime.

The Chelsea Market

Perhaps the best known food hall in the city, the Chelsea Market offers a wide assortment of vendors that serve something for everyone. It is located in the building where the Nabisco company invented its famous Oreo sandwich cookie, making the Market a must-see destination for tourists. The Chelsea Market is almost always stuffed with crowds, but treats like Ronnybrook Dairy’s ice cream and the Lobster Place’s lobster rolls are well worth braving the crowd.

Gansevoort Market

Gansevoort Market is significantly smaller than the Chelsea Market, but every bit as fun to explore. There you can find Smorgasburg’s famous ‘Bruffins’, Tacombi tacos served out of a classic Volkswagen food truck and decadent crepes from Crepe Sucre. Gansevoort Market quickly runs out of seating around lunch time, so consider taking your food up to the High Line for a scenic picnic.

UrbanSpace Vanderbilt

Fans of UrbanSpace’s annual Union Square Holiday Market will find the company’s latest venture just as exciting. Although Urban Space Vanderbilt just opened its doors last month, its location, conveniently near Grand Central Station, has already made it a favorite of those who frequently ride the subway. Two Tablespoons’ gourmet spring rolls make a healthy and affordable lunch, while one of Dough’s famous donuts are an indulgent afternoon treat.

Hudson Eats

Hudson Eats brings 14 unique restaurants from across New York City inside Battery Park’s Brookfield Place development. Black Seed Bagel, Umami Burger, Mighty Quinn’s Barbecue, Blue Ribbon Sushi and Chop’t have all set up outposts in the food hall. Hudson Eats’ expansive seating area offers stunning views of the Hudson River and Statue of Liberty, making it a great lunch spot.

Le District

Located in Brookfield Place alongside Hudson Eats, Le District is the one stop shop capable of satisfying all of your French food cravings. Though often heralded as the French equivalent of the Italian marketplace Eataly, Le District stands on its own merits. In addition to Beauborg, its signature full service restaurant, the upscale market has four distinct sections to explore. Le District’s two restaurants compose its restaurant ‘district’. The market district sells staples such as fresh bread and fish while the garden district offers flowers, wine and a wide selection of prepared foods.

Email Taylor Nicole Rogers at [email protected].