Anti-Muslim sentiment clouds Iran Deal discourse

Pragya Gianani, Contributing Writer

Amid all the coverage of the recent Iran Deal and Iran-U.S. relations more generally over the past few years, there has been little attempt to understand why Iran wants to acquire a nuclear weapon. Those who wonder about this begin to ask questions the media have entirely ignored because they collectively assume that Iran’s nuclear behavior has always been abysmal. If we go deeper into the issue, though, we discover that many common preconceptions of Iran do not hold water.

The Western media, clouded by a thin veneer of anti-Islamic sentiment, remains unwilling to see the Iran issue from any perspective but their own.

Some worry that Iran wants to attack the United States. However, further research reveals this fear to be unfounded. Under the terms of the deal, 12,896 centrifuges — which are required to extract nuclear fuel — are required to be in storage. Furthermore, their uranium stockpile is to be diminished by 97 percent.

These are undoubtedly progressive steps for Iran — steps that the media has taken great pains to ignore. After all, the media reported that former Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Israel should be “wiped off the map.” A closer look would debunk this myth with the accurate English translation of his statement in Persian, “It will not survive.” Yet the erroneous statement lives on as one of the most prevalent rumors of this century, due to the irresponsible reporting — if we can call it that — which has been done on it.

The argument seen most often in the wake of this deal is the possibility of Iran cheating on its obligations. “Do I trust the Iranians?” Hillary Clinton told supporters. “Absolutely not.” However, the International Atomic Energy Agency, as outlined in the deal, will inspect Iran’s nuclear activities at every stage, offering the international community transparency. Cheating isn’t possible without dire consequences for Iran.

Despite these readily available facts, the public is still deeply suspicious of Iran’s activities. This is largely due to the negative connotations surrounding Islam. The media’s use of the phrase “Islamic Republic” to refer to Iran is a giveaway of the rampant Islamophobia that permeates U.S. society. For example, we almost never refer to Pakistan as the “Islamic Republic of Pakistan.” Pakistan is Pakistan. Iran is Iran. But the media use the label “Islamic” to feed off the contrived fear of the religion, to gain cheap interest at the expense of good information.

Any supposedly factual opposition to the Iran deal will crumble in the face of real, unbiased facts. Someone who still feels dread should know that their dread doesn’t translate to a fear of Iran’s nuclear weaponry. It translates to a fear of Islam.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, October 12 print edition. Email Pragya Gianani at [email protected].