This Weekend: October 16-18

Take advantage of the amazing Open Access sites that you can visit this weekend, free of charge through Open House NYC.

Natalia Barr, Staff Writer

Don’t let midterms get in the way of a much-needed break this weekend. Check out some of these fun and cheap events that will hopefully alleviate some mid-semester stress.  

Open House New York
Around New York
Every October, the Open House New York Weekend opens the doors to hundreds of New York City’s most important buildings. Guests are granted access to many sites that are generally closed to the public. Check out historical sites that you have never visited, like Carnegie Hall or the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage. Or, you can participate in talks, tours and performances throughout the city.

Seventh Annual Marco Polo Festival
Begins at 62 Mott St.
On Oct. 17, Two Bridges Neighborhood Council will host the Marco Polo Festival to celebrate Chinatown and the Little Italy Historic District, particularly the relationship between the Chinese and Italian communities in Manhattan. Starting at 11 a.m., witness the pageant procession of large scale Marco Polo and Kublai Khan marionettes and the hand-painted 50-foot-long Silk Road banner parade through the streets of Chinatown and Little Italy. The procession ends at Grand Street. where performances such as traditional Chinese and Italian opera, folk dances, contemporary Chinese and Italian instrumental performances and more will take place.

Morbid Anatomy Flea Market
The Bell House, 149 Seventh St., Brooklyn
The Morbid Anatomy Museum’s final flea market of the season takes place on Sunday from noon to 6 p.m. Pay only a $1 admission fee to browse through the products of multiple vendors selling taxidermy items, strange antiques, books and more. Spend the rest of the day at the Morbid Anatomy Museum just a block away to get into the Halloween spirit.

Email Natalia Barr at [email protected]