Martin Courtney goes solo with ‘Many Moons’

“Many Moons” has been released by Martin Courtney, member of indie rock band Real Estate.

Jacob Fox, Staff Writer

Martin Courtney, member of indie rock band Real Estate, recently released his debut solo album “Many Moons.” Listening to it brings a momentary nirvana. This soothing quality, characteristic of most of Courtney’s work, urges listeners to close their eyes. Every chord, every beat and every sound flies by weightlessly. Courtney finally got his big break between this solo work and his last album, “Atlas,” which was with Real Estate. Since their last tour, Courtney’s bandmates Alex Bleeker and Matt Mondanile have both composed, recorded and toured new music, leaving Courtney with time to compose individually.

The album takes no stride to break convention, keeps the lyrics simple and melodic and appeals to minimal emotions. The album’s beauty lies in its simplicity. It doesn’t try to be something it’s not, it just lets you breathe. From the first chords of the opening track, “Awake,” to the cyclical riff carried through the end of the final track “Airport Bar,” nothing interrupts the effortless flow that Courtney creates.

The only questionable song is the title track, which shows the album’s height of ambition with instrumental dialogue between a flute and a guitar. Unfortunately, the piece totally flops. “Many Moons” the album could have been just as coherent and comprehensive without “Many Moons” the song. The song is not just superfluous, it’s awkward. Luckily, “Asleep” quickly follows up with long winding guitar slides that recapture tranquility.

Thematically, almost every song touches upon either the mesh of dream and reality or the changes pushed along by time. The drawn-out violin elicits a daydream mentality, pushing the past into the realm of fantasy. In fact, Courtney himself explicitly sings “The past is just a dream” on the track “Foto.” On “Before We Begin,” he begs “Please just let me be in the middle of a dream. Don’t you know I’m still asleep?” Courtney, now asleep in his own kind of way, loses himself in the halcyon days. In that sense, “Many Moons” is his musical passage of time. It’s a nice way to catch a mental breath in the midst of a hectic day.

“Many Moons” was released on Oct. 30.

Email Jacob Fox at [email protected].