Staff Recs: Comedy Series

The WSN Staff recommends comedy shows and stand-up specials.

“Master of None”

by Hannah Treasure, Under the Arch Editor

Not only is Aziz Ansari’s new Netflix series “Master Of None” a hilarious interpretation of our generation’s lifestyle — for example, Ansari’s character’s date asks him to take a Vine of her; Ansari calls an Uber to buy Plan B during a hookup; friends help friends craft text message replies, etc. — but it is also is able to bring up several societal issues with ease. From feminist concerns to first-generation American problems, Ansari creates a dialogue on diving into these subjects through humor. “Master of None” itself has a very diverse cast and often tackles issues of stereotyping in the media — one episode in particular attacks the lack of diverse roles for Indian-Americans to play. If all that wasn’t convincing enough, the show is also super relatable for NYU students as most of the show takes place in downtown Manhattan and Brooklyn.

The first ten episodes of “Master of None” are currently streaming on Netflix.

John Mulaney’s “New in Town”

by Dana Reszutek, Editor-at-Large

It’s not like there’s a shortage when it comes to stand-up special streaming on Netflix, but if you’re looking for some serious laughs, John Mulaney’s special, “New in Town” fits the bill. The former SNL writer — and genius behind Bill Hader’s character Stefon — brought his 2012 routine to Skirball, which features Mulaney’s wit and mild self-deprecation, mentioning his young, “tired child” appearance only a few times throughout the set. Whether it’s discussing his teenage years of heavy drinking or describing a terrifyingly funny doctors visit (hint: never try to get a Xanax prescription using the excuse “Sometimes I get nervous on airplanes”), Mulaney is able to keep the audience and viewers laughing throughout with his dry humor and array of silly voices. So if you’re looking for an hour of solid comedy — or just waiting for Mulaney’s next special “Comeback Kid” to be released Nov. 13 — check out “New In Town,” you won’t be disappointed.

You can watch “New in Town” on YouTube.

“Veep”

by Zach Martin, Film Editor

With the 2016 presidential campaign heating up, it’s becoming increasingly more apparent how brilliant season 4 of Veep was. Shifting its scathing satirical take on national politics to the election cycle, the latest season of the HBO comedy starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus snapped the five-year streak of wins by “Modern Family” in the category, and deservedly so. “Veep” is the most sharply written, foul-mouthed show on air and its relentlessly cynical yet emotionally character-driven take on the bureaucrats of Washington D.C. is desperately needed in a country where the lines between the reality and the satire are becoming more blurred.

“Veep” will return for its fifth season in 2016. The first four seasons can be seen on HBO Go.

“Getting On”

by Audrey Deng, Arts Editor

The most sensible response to seeing vomit on a hospital floor would be to immediately clean it up, lest the safety of patients be compromised. But in the second season’s premiere episode of “Getting On,” a small pile of bile remains on the floor for hours, slowly gaining symbolic value for frustrated hospital union workers who argue that cleaning bodily fluids is not part of their contract. “Getting On” is a peculiar comedy television show; it lacks the glamorized drama of “E.R.,” the humor of “Scrubs” and the cutesiness of “The Mindy Project,” and yet, it is the most humane and humorous depiction of a hospital yet. Though set in the picturesque Long Beach, California, “Getting On” never leaves the grey and blue halls of the Extended Care unit of the Mount Palms Memorial Hospital. For those looking for a hospital comedy that finds humor in the unglamorous politics of working in a hospital, “Getting On” fits the bill.

“Getting On” airs Sundays at 10 p.m. on HBO.

Email the Arts Desk at [email protected]

About the Writers
Hannah Treasure, Under the Arch Editor
Hannah Treasure is editor of Under the Arch this semester, previously Digital Director and Features Editor. As a Gallatin junior, her concentration focuses on education equality with a minor in Mandarin Language. She’s from Texas, a place she’d prefer never to return to, although she fully embraces saying “y’all.” Catch her with a mouth full...
Dana Reszutek, Editor-At-Large
As summer approaches, everyone's starting to strut their stuff with their best pairs of shoes. See this list on how to best show your style while maximizing comfort.
Zach Martin, Editor-at-Large
Zach Martin, former Arts Editor, is an Editor-at-Large for the Washington Square News. He is a junior in CAS studying Comparative Literature with minors in Metropolitan Studies and Cinema Studies. He enjoys watching movies and then thinking about them too much, eating ice cream, and complaining about the continual failure of various D.C. sports teams. When...
Audrey Deng, Arts Editor
Audrey Deng joined WSN thinking it stood for Whoa, Snacks’n Naps. Alas, it turned out to be a newspaper organization, of which she now serves as Arts Editor. On weekends, she enjoys roaming art galleries and listening to Prairie Home Companion. On weekdays, she goes to classes for her English major and drinks lots of...