Five home remedies to fight your finals flu

Lemon%2C+Honey%2C+Ginger+and+orange+juice+are+some+popular%2C+simple+and+effective+remedies+during+the+flu+season.+

Christian Forte

Lemon, Honey, Ginger and orange juice are some popular, simple and effective remedies during the flu season.

Patrick Pauley, Staff Writer

Preventative methods, including vaccinations, are some of the best solutions when it comes to battling disease. However, even the most prepared can find themselves susceptible to New York’s brutal winters. If the usual remedies for combatting the cold and flu just aren’t cutting it, try some different fixes from around the world.

Lemon slices

When it comes to treating a fever, Steinhardt freshman Danuta Egle learned some tricks from her mother who was her very own witch doctor whenever she got sick.

“If you ever have a fever, cut up an entire lemon into little slices and pour sugar over them,” Egle said. “Then you eat it while drinking tea and while under your covers, and it’ll bring down your fever in like half an hour. You just sweat it
all out.”

Cinnamon

As an alternative to the usual tea with honey remedy to combat congestion, CAS freshman Prabhod Mudlapur, originally from Bangalore, prescribes a method befitting the holiday season. Mudlapur said cinnamon is the answer to relieving major cold and flu symptoms. Known to have antibacterial properties, the spice can also be used to relieve pain or soothe
upset stomachs.

“Chewing cinnamon sticks is supposed to clear congestion and sore throats,” Mudlapur said. “Also, you can’t usually taste things because your nose is blocked, and cinnamon is strong, so it gives you your sense of taste back.”

Mixed Blend

However, for those who are not fans of cinnamon, try drinking a mix of orange juice, ginger and honey. The acidity of the orange juice, antiviral properties of ginger and soothing effects of honey are combined in this ultimate cold-crushing and flu-fighting remedy recommended by Nora Arratia Mella, a host to study-abroad students in Chile. A Reñaca native, Mella has a wealth of experience in regards to treating illnesses with her own home remedies.

Mother’s hands

“There’s a saying in Korea that goes ‘mother’s hands are medicine hands,’” CAS freshman E Yeon Chang said.

Reflecting on her personal experience, Chang recounted how her mother would make her “jook” or rice porridge to calm stomachaches and have her take ginseng extract to boost her immune system. “Jook” is an Asian comfort food equivalent to the Western chicken noodle soup and holds the same homeopathic capabilities as its American counterpart. This combination has helped Chang to quickly regain her health in times of illness.

Onions

Egle also recommended the healing properties of onions. She said if you ever have an earache, heat up half an onion and place it on your ear. Egle added that this will soothe earaches due to the heat and natural antiseptic qualities of the onion.

Rio de Janeiro native and LS freshman Julia Brasil shares this belief in the healing properties of onions, recalling one specific approach her mother would use to help her feel better.

“She would cut an onion in half and then put it on my nightstand,” Brasil said. “Then, I would feel better after a while. Of course I would also take some medicine, but I believe the onion really helps because it absorbs and gets rid of bacteria.”

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 16 print edition. Email Patrick Pauley at [email protected]