Violets’ streak stays afloat

Tim Kou (pictured) came in 1st place in the 50-yard freestyle against Vassar on Saturday, November 21, in Poughkeepsie, NY.

via gonyuathletics.com

Kyle Ryan, Contributing Writer

Both women’s and men’s swimming and diving teams were victorious over host Vassar College on Saturday, Nov. 21, in Poughkeepsie, New York. The women won 173-122, while the men’s team shared a similar result, winning 180-98.

The women won nearly every event this weekend, especially showing true team strength and domination in the 200-yard medley relay. The team — composed of freshmen Mary Li and Noel Leung, sophomore Serena Yan and junior Elise Gibbs — won with a time of 1:48.67, a whole seven seconds faster than the team that placed behind them. The men’s relay team, which comprised sophomores Tim Kou and Martin Brekke and juniors Daniel Tay and Harry Clewell, were also successful with a time of 1:39.30, finishing two seconds in front of the team that placed after them. In a sport of milliseconds, both relay teams effectively ran away with their contests.

Aside from team victories, the Violets also did incredibly well on an individual level. Leung achieved first place in the 100-yard freestyle (54.09) and the 200-yard freestyle (1:57.77). Sophomore Hannah Berge was right behind her in these races, finishing second in both with the respective times of 56.78 and 1:59.29. The men’s team did equally well in the 100-yard freestyle and 200-yard freestyle. Sophomore Chad Moody came in first in the 200-yard freestyle (1:46.23), and in the 200-yard individual medley (1:59.31), sophomore Wentao Zou placed first in the 50-yard freestyle (50.18) and fellow sophomore Sean Haechler took second (50.58).

Both men and women were also successful in the 200-yard backstroke, and NYU swimmers swept each event. Freshman Nicholas Ruan touched first at 2:03.14, followed by sophomore Christian Alonte (2:07.11) and freshman Shane Hulse (2:07.88). The women were paced by freshman Shannon Roberts, who swam a 2:14.31, followed by sophomore Rachel Munger (2:15.55) and sophomore Isabelle Corgel (2:17.34). Filling first through third place spots in both women’s and men’s divisions, NYU proved that it is a team to be reckoned with. The positive results excited freshman Joseph Baron, who is looking to use this week’s upcoming break to rest before the bulk of the season comes along.

“This was our last meet before we start taper, so we were all just trying to do our best and win,” Baron said. “The team in general wants to keep our winning streak going and put up more best times.”

The Violets will return to action Dec. 4-6 for the MIT Invitational in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

A version of this article appeared in the Nov. 23 print edition. Email Kyle Ryan at [email protected].