5 ways to beat stress this semester

Stressbusters+volunteer%2C+Catherine+Kim%2C+offers+free+back+rubs+at+Take+a+Break+Tuesday+in+the+Kimmel+Center+for+University+Life+on+Nov.+24%2C+2015.+

Danika Lam

Stressbusters volunteer, Catherine Kim, offers free back rubs at Take a Break Tuesday in the Kimmel Center for University Life on Nov. 24, 2015.

Abigail Weinberg, Staff Writer

Among the chaos of finals and the holidays, it’s easy to find yourself stressed out and on edge. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to take a break from the grind. Here are some free and easy ways to relieve your stress on campus and around the city.

Attend a Stressbuster event

The Stressbusters are student volunteers that provide free five-minute backrubs during two weekly events, Take a Break Tuesday and Wind Down Wednesday. You can find them on the seventh floor of Kimmel Center for University Life from 6 to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays or on the third floor of the Health Promotion Office from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. on Wednesdays.

Visit the Grey Art Gallery

Engaging with art is a quick and easy form of relaxation made all the more convenient for NYU students. Located in the Silver Center, the Grey Art Gallery hosts the permanent NYU Art Collection and an ever-changing array of temporary exhibitions. Currently, the Japanese photography collection “For a New World to Come” is on display.

Exercise by the water

Physical activity, aside from helping you stay in shape, can also relieve stress by releasing endorphins. For a beautiful view of the water surrounding Manhattan, take a jog or walk along the East River Park or the Hudson River Park. Both parks feature basketball and tennis courts, as well as a running track field at the East River Park.

Have a laugh

Although the physical benefits of laughter have been proven, it doesn’t take a scientist to know that laughing helps you unwind. NYU is home to sketch comedy groups Hammerkatz and Free Beer, and the city itself has countless comedy clubs for when you just need a relaxing night out. Grab a few friends and share a laugh while supporting comedy on campus. 

Utilize your academic resources

If your grades are the cause of all that excess stress, there are plenty of opportunities to receive tutoring from trained individuals on campus. The University Learning Center offers academic skills workshops and walk-in tutoring sessions in dozens of subject areas. If you’re struggling with an essay, you can make an appointment with the Writing Center. As stressful as school can be, it’s important to remember that your mental health comes first, and that there are resources at your disposal.

While a certain amount of stress can be helpful and motivating, it should never be utterly overwhelming. If you’re still feeling stressed after trying out these tips, don’t hesitate to contact the Wellness Exchange at 212.443.9999 or check out their Relaxation Oasis, which helps students learn and practice non-sectarian meditation to promote well-being and academic success.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 30 print edition. Email Abigail Weinberg at [email protected]