Grapple at the Garden another bump in the road for wrestling

via gonyuathletics.com

Junior William Gockel-Figge achieved a victory over Stevens’ Danny Moore in the 184-pound bout.

Rachel Ruecker, Staff Writer

The NYU wrestling team sought to redeem themselves and return to their early-season form as they competed against the Stevens Institute of Technology Ducks in the Grapple at the Garden on Sunday at Madison Square Garden. The match came after an underwhelming performance at the New York State Intercollegiate Championships last weekend.

The location proved to be the day’s only highlight as the Grapplers disappointingly continued their slump. NYU once again let several individual matches get away from them and dropped the team match 28-12. The only other time the grapplers appeared at MSG previously was against Stevens in 2013, and they dropped the match in similar fashion.

Junior standout Nathan Pike did manage to get a lead for the Violets as he dominated the Ducks’ Yoseph Borai 17-1 in the 133-lb. weight class. There are hopes for Pike to go on to compete nationally, and this performance certainly helped his cause. His efforts, however, were sandwiched by dropped bouts. Pike said he was excited about wrestling in MSG, but feels the Grapplers were too sluggish on Sunday.

“Not every team gets to do something like this in their lifetime,” Pike said. “Our team has a lot of talent on it, but the fire just wasn’t there today and we were out worked by Stevens.”

A hopeful attempt to even things up was made by sophomore Raymond Jazikoff as he overcame 157-lb. Stevens freshman Thomas Poklikuha 3-1, but a rally never came to fruition and the squad was flat for the rest of the day. Another victory that eventually went to waste came from junior William Gockel-Figge who came out on top 14-5 at 184 lbs.

With key guys missing and a trying season behind them, the 21st-ranked Grapplers just couldn’t scrape together a win. Though facing off at MSG was surely a highlight for all those involved, facing off against the 12th-ranked team in the nation was a challenge they weren’t quite ready for this early in the season. They’ll get a second shot at Stevens after winter break when they travel across the Hudson to Hoboken, New Jersey. Freshman Santino Pelusi said if they put the work in at practice, the second time will go much smoother.

“I feel like we missed some opportunities as a team and it ended up adding up,” Pelusi said. “We just need to get back in the room and start working again.”

The Grapplers will take to the mat again on Dec. 4 as they head uptown to face Hunter College.

Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].