Headless Society talks poetry

The Headless Society is a creative writing club that produces “The Guillotine,” a collection of unedited writings on Dec. 11.

Patrick Pauley, Staff Writer

Often associated with long papers and essays, many may think of writing as boring and overwhelming. However, The Headless Society has undertaken the task of helping others change their approach by writing for fun.

A creative writing club, The Headless Society runs different prompts by volunteering members each week. Although there is an underlying structure similar to those seen within other student groups, The Headless Society is more relaxed and held in a laid-back setting.

The club is not meant to be a burden or stress-inducing commitment, but rather a respite from studying and schoolwork. Creativity is encouraged and one is able to write freely without judgement. At the end of each semester, members are able to submit their works for possible publication in “The Guillotine,” a semesterly collection of unedited writings that will be unveiled on Dec. 11.

As for the name, “The Headless Society” was coined in a conversation between Emily Dickinson and Thomas Wentworth Higginson concerning the definition of poetry.

“If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry,” Dickinson said.

CAS junior and next semester’s president Caitlin Kelmar explained that the prompts are original ideas by Headless members themselves, ensuring a diversity of themes. After the prompt is read out loud, members have 20 minutes to pen any form of writing pertaining to the prompt. Afterwards, the pieces are shared among the group to highlight the different perspectives.

“All the prompts are good because they make you think in different ways, and some of them are harder than others,” Kelmar said.
Rumors concerning the activities of the club can now be put to rest. The Headless Society is not a secret society devoted to decapitation with French execution apparatuses, but is instead a family of students dedicated to creative writing. The name has allowed for many inside jokes and creates an air of mystery surrounding the club, perhaps on purpose.

Email Patrick Pauley at [email protected]