Malia Obama has NYU atop list of potential colleges

Malia+Obama+is+deciding+on+what+college+to+attend%2C+and+has+narrowed+it+down+to+NYU+and+Barnard.+

Malia Obama is deciding on what college to attend, and has narrowed it down to NYU and Barnard.

Alex Bazeley, News Editor

Malia Obama could be rocking Violet pride come springtime, as NBC New York reported that the 17-year-old has narrowed her college choices down to NYU and Barnard College.

The older First Daughter, who interned on the set of HBO show Girls over the summer, ultimately wants to be a filmmaker, an endeavor she could pursue at the Tisch School of the Arts, which boasts Spike Lee and Alec Baldwin among its notable alumni. Tisch was ranked as the number two film school in the nation by the Hollywood Reporter in October.

Back in February, Malia was spotted touring NYU and several other East Coast institutions, sending both students and media organizations into a frenzy. President Barack Obama attended Columbia University, the parent school of Barnard, in his undergraduate days, and reportedly told a group of high school students in Iowa that she shouldn’t be stressing about the process.

“One piece of advice that I’ve given her is not to stress too much about having to get into one particular college,” the president said at the time. “Just because it’s not some name-brand, famous, fancy school doesn’t mean that you’re not going to get a great education there.”

Malia is currently a senior at Sidwell Friends School in Washington, D.C., and made headlines in October when a photo surfaced of her in front of beer pong table at Brown University.
Regardless of where she ends up, clearly she’s just as enamored with the Big Apple as the rest of us.

Email Alex Bazeley at [email protected].