Rob Schneider’s Netflix special ‘Real Rob,’ disappoints

%22Real+Rob%2C%22+starring+Rob+Schneider+and+Patricia+Azarcoya+Arce+is+enjoyable%2C+but+not+engaging.+

"Real Rob," starring Rob Schneider and Patricia Azarcoya Arce is enjoyable, but not engaging.

By Talia Milavetz, Staff Writer

“Real Rob” is comedian Rob Schneider’s new Netflix special that feels more real than fake, with his wife Patricia Azarcoya Arce playing his wife in the mockumentary-style show. The show premiered Dec. 1 on Netflix with eight episodes to round off its first season.

True to its mockumentary genre, the characters often speak directly to the camera. The first episode revolves around Rob’s attempt to replace his terrible assistant with someone who is capable to meet his daily needs. Rob finds an unlikely replacement in his biggest stalker, who sits outside Rob’s house day in and day out and knows everything about his schedule, wants and needs. The dynamic between Rob and his stalker-turned-assistant is the funniest part of the first episode.

The first episode definitely had its laugh out loud moments but it was not packed with hilarity at every moment. At home, Rob deals with deciding whether to have more kids or a vasectomy, while at work he struggles with booking commercials and not getting cast in movies.The juxtaposition of his family life and work life can be funny, but it is not as funny as expected.

By the second episode, the problems between Rob and his assistant feel like old news. So do the problems between Rob and his wife, who hired a hot, male nanny/dancer to take care of their daughter. The scenes are overall enjoyable to watch, but not especially new or surprising.

The surprise of “Real Rob” comes from the combination of so many different television tropes. Not only is the show mockumentary, but it combines stand-up and sitcom as well. This is incredibly innovative for the first episode. But after a few episodes, the viewer gets used to this style and they are left with a format that feels more disjointed than anything.

Overall, “Real Rob” is mildly entertaining. Fans of “Louie” or “Curb Your Enthusiasm” will likely enjoy Schneider’s take on this type of comedy. Fans of the traditional sitcom may find the story elements lacking. There is no strong plot and while the events that do happen are original and not standard plot points, they aren’t incredibly interesting.
“Real Rob” had an enjoyable first season, but it is definitely not the most engaging show on Netflix.

Email Talia Milavetz at [email protected]

22 Comments

22 Responses to “Rob Schneider’s Netflix special ‘Real Rob,’ disappoints”

1. James jackson on December 9th, 2015 5:44 pm

Way better than Aziz’s Master of None. Thank you Netflix

2. norm on December 9th, 2015 9:30 pm

This show is hilarious. I hope a second season follows!

3. Gino Ramos on December 9th, 2015 10:57 pm

I can’t wait for season 2 I love this show very funny !

4. Carolyn on December 10th, 2015 9:04 am

This is the funniest show I’ve seen in awhile. I really hope it comes back for a second season!

5. Darren on December 10th, 2015 11:37 am

Everyone needs to see this show, it is so funny I couldn’t stop laughing. I hope Netflix plans on more episodes

6. kevin on December 10th, 2015 12:59 pm

Funny show……best show on TV.

7. Brit on December 10th, 2015 2:02 pm

This show is hilarious! I’m disappointed in the poor review 🙁

It’s like the “Friends” 2015 for the people who watched Friends in the 90’s.

The humor teeters between completely inappropriate and reality. Great!

8. The Truth on December 10th, 2015 6:23 pm

Not so

9. Laurieshappy on December 10th, 2015 7:13 pm

I loved it! I want more!

10. KristieNolen on December 10th, 2015 7:36 pm

Absolutely binged watched the entire season. Loved it

11. kevin on December 10th, 2015 11:15 pm

The review person must have no sense of humor or stupid and brain dead this is the best show that has hit tv or netflix we love u rob we expect at least 5 seasons keep em coming I loved it and I’m sure everyone els did too can’t wait for season 2

12. Robert on December 11th, 2015 12:15 am

By far one of the better comedy shows on tv!!!! This show had my wife and me cracking up the whole time. It is well written and addictive, keep up the great work Rob.

13. Christine on December 11th, 2015 5:23 am

I LOVE the show I laughed so hard at many many parts PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!! I don’t know why it “disappoints” don’t listen to the critics listen to the fans 😉

14. jennifer on December 11th, 2015 6:01 pm

The show made me laugh out loud! A must watch.

15. Nancy on December 11th, 2015 9:27 pm

I so binge watched the first season and totally LOVED it! I appreciate the laughs, they were so needed! I am a Mexican accountant who married an American man a few years ago, so I can relate to so many ‘moments’ on the show. I definitely hope ‘The Real Rob’ succeeds, and that there is more to come! I bough The Hot Chick when it first came out, and after all these years still makes me LOL, Rob is an excellent comedian!

16. Linda on December 12th, 2015 6:12 am

I love Rob Schneider! I don’t care what anybody says “Real Rob” is a funny show! Loved it! I hope they continue with it for many more seasons!

17. E on December 12th, 2015 6:56 am

I’m pretty sure the media/critics have a vendetta or something against Schneider. I read another scathing review at
    http://www.journalnow.com/relishnow/film_tv/netflix-series-real-rob-is-real-lame/article_b14de0e5-3a76-5132-a163-6f2360a90103.html#facebook-comments

The truth is, the show is funny. I described it to my brother as Seinfeld with the real people playing their characters (Seinfeld is based on exaggerated real stories, too if you didn’t know). It plays on many peoples’ stereotypes of the rich and famous and then runs with those assumptions, eventually putting it in a celebrity’s perspective or teaching Rob a lesson. There’s a sense of humility with Rob, as the show portrays him as a hilariously unlikable celebrity with a trophy wife that refuses to be that and frequently makes him her bitch.

Please make a second season!

18. Eddie on December 12th, 2015 6:04 pm

Loved this series, outstanding, couldn’t stop watching it..,,would like some more!!!

19. Kal on December 14th, 2015 6:33 pm

The critics don’t know anything. This is a funny show.

20. wiggles on December 24th, 2015 2:56 am

Terrible review.. This show is quite good and rob does a great job! His wife’s character is obnoxious though. She basically is gonna be a stripper soon and practices and networks through out the series. If that’s really how she is then rob is a fool. She kisses other guy’s bare nipple to say goodbye at dinner. Who wouldn’t send her packing immediately? Hopefully real rob is a bit more self respecting in real life..

21. Danielle on January 11th, 2016 3:03 am

Love this show it totally does remind me of signfeld, I was looking to see when the second season is coming out only to find a bad review glad to see the good comments. I love Real Rob!!

22. Justin on February 2nd, 2016 10:25 pm

Are only good review comments allowed? I have a hard time believing everyone thought this show was so great. I will admit it has some laughable moments… Enough to merit being on in the background while we are dinner, but overall I found it extremely contrived. The situations in the show were mostly 0% believable. Episode 8 we ended up turning off because the entire premise was ridiculous. Maybe our expextations were confused by the oft changing style of the show, but we could not get past the absurd premise to see any real humor in his life being ruined by his family. Amex just hands out cards with no limit on your account to anyone with your same last name? Sure… Sounds plausible.