Looking Forward: More and More Shows

Jan 25, 2016

As 2016 begins, more original TV shows are using Netflix as a platform to launch their series. The streaming service has found popularity among students, who favor ad-free entertainment and the convenience of binge watching. This year, Netflix will launch 31 new shows in conjunction with returns of current shows. Netflix’s roster for the spring demonstrates the company’s continued domination over cable networks.

Netflix kicked off their 2016 year with the premiere of “Chelsea Does,” comedian Chelsea Handler’s four-part non-fiction series. In her show, which premiered Jan. 22, Handler discusses some of the most prevalent topics of our generation, from race relations to Silicon Valley. The new series shows Handler’s more serious side in contrast to her sillier persona from her previous show, “Chelsea Lately.”

“Fuller House” also premieres this year on Feb. 26. The show is a spin-off of the beloved 90s classic “Full House.” “Fuller House” is set over 10 years later as DJ Tanner returns to her childhood home to raise a family with the help of her sister, Stephanie, and childhood best friend Kimmy. Bob Saget and John Stamos will rejoin many of their fellow original “Full House” stars. However, neither of the Olsen twins will be back to reprise their shared role of the family’s youngest daughter, Michelle Tanner.

Also coming to Netflix this February, just after Valentine’s Day on Feb. 19, is Judd Apatow’s series, “Love.” Apatow worked on hits such as “Girls,” “Bridesmaids” and “Trainwreck.” In a similar fashion, his new show follows the intimate life of a couple avoiding their marital problems and aims to explore both female and male outlooks on romantic relationships.

Netflix will also debut the second seasons of female-led breakout hits “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” and “Marvel’s Jessica Jones,” while political drama “House of Cards” and dark comedy “Orange is the New Black” will be premiering their fourth seasons.

All of these shows will only be available on Netflix. With 31 new shows set for 2016, Netflix is continuing to radically transform the way we watch TV. If you still prefer to wait up for your favorite show and take snack breaks during the commercials, you may be out of luck this year as the trend for new shows is headed towards streaming.

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 25 print edition. Email Talia Milavetz at [email protected].