Grapplers Take One Step Forward, One Step Back

via gonyuathletics.com

Junior Wayne Yuan won 2-0 at the Tri-Match last Thursday.

Michael Thompson, Sports Editor

A week after their fifth consecutive UAA Championship, the NYU Grapplers traveled to Brookville, New York on Thursday to finish their regular season against the College of Mount Saint Vincent and Long Island University-Post. Results were mixed, with a demolition over CSMV and a tough loss against LIU.

The Grapplers swept CSMV, dominating the team with a winning 55-0 score. The Grapplers won by forfeit in seven out of 10 matches and were virtually unstoppable. Centennial Conference Wrestler of the Year Nathan Pike continued his winning streak, defeating Connor Hay at 133 pounds 17-0 in his 26th win of the year. Austin Day earned his 23rd win of the year with a technical fall win over Cristian Hilario at 141 pounds, while sophomore Raymond Jazikoff remained the Grapplers’ lead winner this season after getting his 28th at 157.

The freshmen also impressed with three victories against the CSMV. Ian Burke continued his impressive first-year campaign with a forfeit victory at 149 pounds, bringing his win total to 22. Austin Oliver earned his seventh win of the season at 165 pounds, while fellow freshman Kyle Paterson rounded out the day with a heavyweight
forfeit victory.

But the Grapplers faced a setback in their second contest of the day, losing to LIU-Post as the postseason loomed ahead. Although Wayne Yuan got the Grapplers off to a great start with a win over Joe Paterno in the 125-pound class, NYU was only able to win one more match as LIU-Post racked up win after win. Jazikoff had the only other victory and is now one away from his 30th win of the year.

Even after a defeat, the Grapplers are in a great position to claim victory in March. They are back in action on Feb. 27 in Lexington, Virginia at the NCAA East Regionals. From there, select members of the team will look to etch their names in stone at the NCAA Division III Championships in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

A version of this article appeared in the Feb. 22 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].