Green House at Seventh Street

Alex Bazeley, Editor-in-Chief

Residency: Upperclassmen
Estimated yearly cost: $15,884 – $18,494
Low-cost rooms available: No
Commute to class: 10 minutes
Nearby subways: 6, N, R, F
Shuttle: Yes

The Green House at 7th Street is an apartment-style upperclassmen dorm which houses around 90 students who are all — hopefully — passionate about sustainability and being green. This tight-knit community-oriented dorm is housed between Second and Third Avenues and is aimed at fostering a more eco-friendly community at NYU.

As the smallest dorm on campus, the Green House is focused on creating community, whether it’s through communal dinners, community service or communal living. The rooms themselves are mostly quad suites, with a shared and spacious common area, kitchen and bathroom. If you don’t feel like cooking, your closest dining hall is at Third North, a brisk five block walk away.

If you are interested in Green House, be prepared to lean into the green aspect — it touts itself as a paperless dorm, and there are no elevators or air conditioning. There are three lounges: a study lounge, a game room and a TV lounge, the latter of which has a communal kitchen. There is a storage room for your bike on the first floor if you’re already toting an eco-friendly set of wheels.

It’s certainly hard to beat the location of Green House, as it’s located in the heart of the East Village. It’s a short walk from campus and Tompkins Square Park is located just a few blocks in the opposite direction. There’s no shortage of non-dorm food around either — as long as you’re at least willing to spend a little green here and there.

Read the rest of the housing issue here.